General Area in 07030>Question Details

Home Searchi…, Other/Just Looking in Arizona

What's the difference between living in Hoboken, Jersey City or Jersey City Heights for a young professional commuting to NYC?

Asked by Home Searching, Arizona Wed Mar 3, 2010

Moving to the area in the fall and would like to land in a place I can get to know and think about making roots and buying in 2011 or 2012. Have heard about these cities/towns - are there others that I should include in my search?

Any advice you can provide is appreciated!

Answers

9
Hi Home Searching,

You brought up a great question.

Living in Hoboken as a young professional may be the best choice. Commuting to NYC is definitely accessible almost everywhere you choose to live. Buses to NYC runs on Washington Street & Clinton Street and runs more frequently than the neighboring towns. Buses to Hoboken Path also runs on Washington Street & Willow Avenue. There's also 2 Light Rails Stops on 9th Street & Marshall Drive & 2nd Street & Marshall Drive which can take you to the path station.

As for the nightlife and other conveniences, there's plenty of restaurants almost within walking distance where ever you choose to live in Hoboken, electic pubs, boutique shops, pharmacy, parks & supermarket also charaterize the Hoboken neighborhood charm.

There is also a town taxi cab which can take you anywhere in Hoboken for approximately $5. The downside of living in Hoboken is that you may have to pay more in rent or eventual purchase of a home when you are ready to buy. If you are choosing to rent for now, it may not be a bad start. After all you are investing in rent only. Later on you can visit the neighboring areas at your leisure and make your decision then when you are ready.

Living in Jersey City Heights is accessible to NYC only if you live close to the main street like Palisade Avenue, Central Avenue or within a couple of blocks of that. The buses does not run as frequently after rush hour. Nightlife is dry in Jersey City Heights. You may find yourself hopping to Hoboken or NYC for nightlife activity. Central Avenue in Jersey City is where you will mostly find restaurants, shops, supermarket.and other conveniences. There are a few mom & pop grocery stores in some areas. Rent is cheaper living in Jersey City Heights.

My advise and best solution is when you are ready to move to New Jersey is to take a day and visit both towns and see for yourself and how you feel.

Best of luck! If yu need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask.

Pam McAuley
(201) 320-0268
RE/MAX Gold Coast Realty
56 Newark Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
(201) 795-5200 ext 320
E-mail: pam.mcauley@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 3, 2010
You'll find that Hoboken is more of a walking town with shops, restaurants, bars and public transportation all within walking distance.

Downtown Jersey City is a much larger area than Hoboken and is divided between the Newport area, Paulus Hook and downtown. The Newport area is primarily doorman high rise buildings, while the downtown and Paulus Hook areas are more converted apartments/brownstones and smaller condo developments. Shops, restaurants, bars and public transportation all within walking distance.

Hoboken, Newport and Paulus Hook are similar in price while downtown Jersey City tends to be a better value as it's still developing.

Good luck in your home search!

Kevin Dowd
Broker Salesperson
Prudential Castle Point Realty
203 Washington Street
Hoboken, NJ
Email: info@hobokenjerseycity.com

Search MLS listings for free at http://www.hobokenjerseycity.com

Get up-to-the-minute market reports:

http://www.hobokenpropertyvalues.info
http://www.jerseycitypropertyvalues.info
Each of these cities offer something a little different. The best way to know what is best for you is to look in both locations. I've had clients tell me they want to be inHoboken and have purchased a condo in Jersey City.

Only you can best figure out what you want and the best way is to look in each area.

I CAN HELP YOU!

Raquel Sharper
Real Estate Consultant
Liberty Realty LLC
201-686-6977 Cell
201-222-2811 Fax

The greatest compliment I can receive from you is when you refer your family, friends and co-workers to me when they have need of my services. A referral is sending someone you care about to someone you trust. Thank you for trusting me!
To name an area for you without really knowing the lifestyle you are looking for would be very difficult. While very close to each other there are huge differences between these areas in housing types, affordability and community.

Hoboken is comprised mostly of rowhouses and mid-rise building with a few high rises on the north end. It is well known because of it's historic nature and nightlife. Prices here are among the highest in the state. Transportation to Manhattan is excellent via PATH, Bus, or Ferry.

Downtown Jersey City is comprised of a few different neighborhoods, each with their own feel. Newport is an 80s style master planned community, Liberty Harbor North is a new urbanist master planned community modeled after the upper west side of Manhattan. The exchange place area is the main financial district so it tends to be quieter on nights and weekend. WALDO is the warehouse district being turned into a community for artists. Then there are the historic districts of Paulus Hook, Van Vorst Park and Hamilton Park. Prices in the downtown area of Jersey City are also fairly high but vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. Transportation Manhattan is via PATH or ferry.

Jersey City Heights is not quite as gentrified as Hoboken or downtown Jersey City. It's housing stock is mostly 2 and 3 family homes that don't really have the same character as the historic areas of Hoboken and Jersey City. It has developed a lot in the past few years an a more affordable alternative to Hoboken and Jersey City. Transportation to Manhattan is a little more difficult. You will either have to take the light rail to the PATH or a bus to the city.

In addition to these areas you may want to consider areas north of Hoboken including, West New York, Weehawken and Guttenburg. Transportation to the city from these areas is via bus or ferry but the buses tend to be a little more reliable then in Jersey City Heights.

If you would like to discuss the type of lifestyle you are looking for I can send you a summary of homes so you can start getting an idea of the area. If you would like to do this or have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Andres Garcia
Sales Associate, CDPE
RE/MAX Gold Coast Realty
56 Newark Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
Direct: 201 795-5200 x340
Andres@MileSquareRealty.com
http://www.MileSquareRealty.com
The most obvious difference is the prices, in Hoboken the average price for February was about $514K while in Downtown Jersey City it was $391K and the Heights, well I'm working on that now :)
Other than that I suppose commuting to and from work is your second biggest concern and Downtown Jersey City probably has an edge there becasue of the number of Path stations, Light Rail Stations and Ferries and of course buses. There is a light rail station in Heights (the Hoboken 9th street station )
Other than that there is Weehawken, Union City and North Bergen which are accessible by Light Rail, Ferry Service and of course many many buses. Cliffside park is mostly a bus commute.
There is now a ferry in Edgewater as well.
For more info on pricing and what's available in any of the towns mentioned please visit my site below
Web Reference: http://reintell.com/
Hi Just Looking...

It really is dependent upon your preferred lifestyle, which of these areas would best suit you.

Hoboken is a one -square mile town thereby making it basically a walking community where just about every product and service is very nearby. The housing stock in Hoboken and in Jersey City Downtown are very similar...many condoniuniums, row houses, luxury new construction buildings and both have ease of access to the PATH service into New York City, as well as Ferry Service into New York and Light Rail which connects both of these communities and others nearby by public transportation. Both of these areas also offer luxury waterfront living and are located on the banks of the Hudson River.

Jersey City is quite a large City with many different "districts"... another which you mentioned, Jersey City Heights. Jersey City Heights has a bit of a different housing landscape....and although it also offers condominiums, factory conversion into residential complexes, new construction...the homes are generally not the row type "brownstones" and townhomes that you find more predominant in Jersey City Downtown or in Hoboken. It is generally less expensive to purchase or rent in Jersey City Heights, and while it has bus and commuter van service to Hoboken, Jersey City and also into New York City, it does not have direct access to a Ferry or a PATH train without either using another mode of transportation to get there OR if you're into a good hearty walk....

Younger people love both Jersey City downtown and Hoboken because of the many restaurants, cafes, galleries, etc., but at the same time, those who may ot be able to afford quite as much as these areas command, certainly do also move to the Jersey City Heights section.

Weehawken is the neighboring community to Hoboken on it's north end and also offers a great variety of housing choices....new construction in the town proper areas, gorgeous luxury waterfront housing, and a vast number of homes that are, for the most part, unique unto themselves...meaning are of a variety of architectural styles, different sizes. Weehawken also offers bus and commuter van service into New York City, both bus and Light Rail service to Hoboken, Jersey City and Bayonne, NJ, Ferry Service to both Midtown and Downtown NYC. It does not have ease of access to the PATH. Generally, the homes in Weehawken are mostly detached and afford a bit more "space"....certainly more opportunities to have parking on your own premises, and the taxes are lower than both Hoboken and Jersey City. Weehawken schools also have a very good reputation and the classroom sizes are much smaller than in either Hoboken or Jersey City public schools. Weehawken is also a riverfront community, however, other than it's direct waterfront housing, the bulk of the community is high atop the Palisades and "overlooks" both the New York City Skyline and the Hudson River.

There's much more I can say about all of these communities, but it would be more informative to you if you have some specific questions you'd like answered as well.

If I can offer you that information, please feel free to contact me.

Have a good day,
Barbara Tulko
Broker Associate
RE/MAX Villa Realtors
barbaratulkio@remax.net
Hoboken & downtown Jersey City are on the Hudson River waterfront. The areas contain many restaurant options, shopping, & entertainment/nightlife. These area a chock-full of young professionals. The real estate pricing is also higher here due to the location and easy access into New York City via the PATH, bus, & Ferry.

Jersey City Heights is located west of Hoboken. The area is little more residential than downtown Jersey City & Hoboken and more affordable. You can easily commute into New York City from the Heights via the bus. There is no PATH in the Heights, but there is a Lightrail which will take you to the PATH.

You may also want to look into living in Weehawken which is just north of Hoboken.

Where you ultimately choose to live depends on your lifestyle and price range. I recommend coming to the area and checking out the different towns to get a feel for where you see yourself living.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll be happy to assist.

--
Walter J. Burns
Realtor-Associate
Weichert Realtors
Hoboken, NJ
201-653-8488 Ext: 230
201-694-8946 Mobile
http://www.livingonthehudson.com
Hello Home Searching.

I think the three towns you mention are great areas to live. I was raised here my whole life and I've lived in Jersey City Heights, Hoboken, Union City, West New York and Hackensack. I can tell you, that as a young professional it doesn't get better than Hoboken or Jersey City.
They are all great communities and each offer different things. Hoboken for example has an intimate community feel while still keeping a city vibe. The big draw here are the many many shops, restaurants and bars that are all walking distance, that plus it's close proximity to Manhattan with various quick commute options. However of the three, Hoboken is probably the priciest to live in.
Jersey City - downtown jersey city which I'm assuming you've heard about, is a bit more spread out and diversified. It reminds of parts of New York City with it's mix of brownstones and high rises. Jersey City also has great commute options to NYC however some area's are a bit more spread out than Hoboken, which some people actually prefer. Downtown Jersey City has an eclectic mix of neighborhoods and people with lots of artists and musicians scattered throughout. It's a great city and has something for everyone.

Jersey City Heights is a slightly more residential town, with still the option to walk like in the other two neighborhoods. In the Heights, your dollar stretches much much more. So this can be a great choice if you're looking for a lot of house for less money. The only draw back to the heights is that it doesn't have trains that run directly into NYC. This area relies on busses for it's main form of transportation. While there is an area that offers an elevator into Hoboken to connect to a train (that will take you to another train that goes into NY) I find that most clients don't choose that option and will simply take the bus. The busses are very reliable and run every 10 to 15 minutes.
Most residents of Hoboken and downtown Jersey City are spoiled and love their PATH train system, so they'll probably tell you that these two are where you want to land.
If you can afford it, and prefer a young city vibe with lots of things to do, and want a quick commute to NY then I would highly recommend Hoboken and downtown Jersey City as your focus.

Please feel free to reach me if you'd like some additional insight or have any other questions. I hope this helps!

You should google CNN reports top places to live - Hoboken came in at the top for two years in a row. Jersey City also recently was noted as one of the best places to raise a family!

Karina Anillo
RE/MAX Gold Coast Realty
56 Newark Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
P (201) 795-5200 xt 332
I think you'll find that all 3 of those cities are great places to live. Hoboken is going to be the most established with a concentration of night life, shopping, and restaurants. Jersey City is a huge city that wraps around Hoboken on it's southern and western borders. I live in the Heights section of Jersey City, which is certainly the most affordable of the 3, but is only a 5 minute walk into Hoboken and has great access to bus and rail lines into NYC and Hoboken/Downtown Jersey City.

Downtown Jersey City is an up and coming area of Jersey City with some area's being as expensive as Hoboken. It has a strong artist community, thriving business district and a multitude of great dining options. I think you'll find that your budget is going to dictate where you focus on. Do you have an idea of how much you'd like to spend each month? If you'd like to email me that information, I'd be more than happy to email you a sampling of some listings.

When are you planning to be out in the area to look around? When you are here, I'd also suggest looking in Weehawken, which is a more residential area to live in, but offers great conveniences to NYC. Good Luck!

--
Matthew Franklin
Realtor Associate
Halliburton Homes
609.313.2993
Matt@halliburtonhomes.com
http://www.trulia.com/profile/MattFranklin/