Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What's on your list of must-haves for your next home? Tell us and you could win $100!

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Wed Nov 28, 2012

Share your list of must-haves for your next home below to be entered to win a $100 American Express Gift Card.

See the official rules here: http://info.trulia.com/must-haves-sweepstakes

Answers

85
Dishwasher and laundry in unit! Balcony too.
my list is simple. on my list of must-haves for my next home would be anything that isnt a mobile home with tin roof and sides and that will not leak anymore to make mold on the inside walls! I would like to have floors that havent buckled with mositure and age and walls that do not have cracks that all the heat goes outside. just a simple real home of wood and brick not of tin...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 10, 2012
The contest is now closed and we're notifying the lucky winner. Check back on Thursday 12/6 for next week's contest!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Easy in out accuses with garage door opener. Along with a great area safe clean. Grass yard upgrades as pull off out faucets enough room to breath and closet space to store things in
Inside very clean upgraded comfortable making it into a home with life laughter and love positive
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
1/2 acre+, 3 car garage, circular drive, metal roof, stone,3000 sq.ft., reflective windows, outdoor kitchen, good size patio and deck with some covering, fire & water feature, some green space, privacy if close o neighbors, lots of windows with a view, open concept, ranch style, covered entrance with double doors, foyer, granite counters, gas stainless steel appliances, lg, island, wood fireplace, gas fireplace in master, lg. steam shower, double sinks, separate tiolet area, lg. 4+ bdrm, lg. his and hers walk-in closets, 2 1/2 baths, 10'+ ceilings, crown moulding, hardwood floors and heated stained concrete floors, solar panels, 4' eaves, hidden gutters, lots of storage, maybe a small guest house, in demand water heaters, filter system, good size laundry room, office, low maintanence yard, fruit trees, large pet area. Just want back what I lost
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 29, 2012
First it must have a view. Mountains behind and ocean to the front. A very large formal living room, all windows shaped like half hexagon, large dual sided rock fireplace one side to living and one side to formal dining room. A large telescope pointed in the direction of the ocean to see when a sunami might be coming (LOL). All tile flooring except bedrooms they would have oak wood floors with large weaved throw rugs. High vaulted ceilings and solid oak furniture. Dining room would be lighted by a chandelier from the 1800's. Settings would be in Maroon, pinks and greens. Chef kitchen with granite counter tops, all stainless steel appliances, island, breakfast nook, walk-in pantry and refrigerator. Master suite would be all windows looking out over the ocean with an all oak balcony with lots of plants in large pots. There would be a jetted soaking tub inset in a tinted glass space looking out over the ocean. Double his and her sinks all procelain inset in tile counter and oak cabinets. Seperate shower with all etched glass doors and tile. His and her walk-in closets. Master suite would be located on the top third floor all by itsef accessible only thru a spiral staircase. Second floor would have 4 large bedrooms, all with their own bathrooms with soaking tubs, large walk-in closets, oak furniture, done in dark colors and large windows opening up to a balcony that circles the house. Out back I want a large flower garden. Lots of waterfalls and streams. A large rock swimming pool with an open bar in the center of the pool surrounded by a large waterfall cascading around the bar. There would be a entertainment room out next to the bar complete with a full bathroom, a large room with dart board, pool table, card table and bar. There would be a changing room and a nap room. etc.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 29, 2012
Are you single? I love your taste in a home! I could live in the home you just described! We have similar tastes.
Flag Thu Nov 29, 2012
Care love of family starting once again after our loss of 22 years a yard large kitchen washer dryer three beds 2 plus bath three car garage patio living room fire place dishwasher in a good area sidewalks for play for my granddaughter
Small yard. Big enough to mow in 10 minutes (now retired and travel a lot). Lots of storage. Hardwood.
3 car garage with a lift ;D
no carpet! Only wood, bamboo, or tile floors!
Must haves...? Window over my kitchen sink to watch the activity at the bird feeder.
Must haves for my next home: Screened in porch, hardwood floors (no carpeting), 2 plus full bathrooms, a playroom for the children so my living room can become a living room again, no oak trees (the acorns are a pain to clean), and a larger, much larger kitchen.
Screened enclosed sun porch with a wood stove and stone-tile floors with removable storm windows a plus (high ceiling and 3/4 length windows on three sides).
Solar panels; energy efficient; outdoor space; 3 bedrooms; oh, and charm.
I could not be happy with out our screened back porch!
4 bedrooms, 2 baths, finished basement to put a bar and flat screen in and back deck to enjoy summer parties.
Nicer kitchen and living room. I have had the same old cough love seat tables for 10 years. Moved
it from Mesa Arizona to Golden Valley Arizona
4 bedroom, 3 baths. Granite, one acre, energy efficient. Solar power.
I would love to go green. But my Must haves would be a bigger yard, fenced in yard, 2 car garage, near water with trees around the house, bigger kitchen, game room for our pool table, office for husband, work out room, and two guest rooms for family, and a big front and back porch. Love to sit on the front porch with friends and family.
Over 1500sf 3 bedrooms....1+ baths.. acerage...basement...garage....a log cabin would be perfect...LOL
Must have geothermal heating and an office!
Must have a dining room in my next house. Then I will have the opportunity to entertain larger parties.
For my next home, I'd like for it to be a new construction home in a master planned community. I'd like for the home to be on an elevated homesite with a backyard view and no rear neighbors. I must have a one story home with a good flowing open and spacious floor plan and I must have a fireplace. In my next home, I also must have wood floors and the home must have at least nine foot ceilings. My next home must have at least three bedrooms, a den, and three full baths. It must have a big kitchen with upgraded appliances and finishes. The kitchen must also have an island that seats at least four people. On the outside of my next home, I must have a decent size backyard with a covered patio and grassy area for the dogs to run around in. I must have an outdoor kitchen with a built-in gas barbeque grill. In the backyard, I must also have a built-in circular gas firepit with benches around it where people can sit, chat and enjoy the warmth of the open flame. In my next home, I must have a front porch with ample room to put a bench, a small table with a couple of chairs and some potted plants. Additionally, I must have a three car garage.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
A screened in porch facing South that allows an enjoyable view of the sunrises and sunsets; a well manicured lawn with abundant flower gardens; a lap pool with privacy; a welcoming foyer that affords privacy of the home upon entering; Windows, skylights that allow natural light to flow throughout the home; two master suites with walk in closets and sitting area for dressing; a spa like bathroom with tumbled marble, travertine, glass blocks walls; spacious bedrooms; kitchen with an island, lots of counter and prep space; walk in pantry; no carpet, but saltillo tile, travertine, wood flooring; no stairs!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
Give me an oversized garage for extra storage with its doors NOT facing the street on the North side of the house to block the cold., a walk-in closet and a master suite with a large tub w shower and double vanities, A pantry and prep island in the kitchen with a french door to a nice patio with a pergola and a hedge for privacy around it to enjoy a morning coffee or evening drink.A porch for the front door so guests wouldn't be out in the rain waiting for the door to open.Lots of windows on the east and south side..I love the sun!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
plenty of windows and a nice veiw.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
3500 sq feet living, undivided great room & kitchen (Wolfe and Bosch appliances) w/ 18' ceiling, 12' trey elsewhere, Olde Florida style. with intelligent dual pane breeze ways Tri zone heat recovery AC with air scrubber, Instant hot for 3 baths, kitchen and detached 3 car garage. full solar panel array, 7 acres , windmill & power conversion.
My list is: A large walk-in closet. Preferably a double closet. Too many clothes I don't want to give up.
Weight changes. A covered patio, preferably facing the East, so afternoons will be cooler for planting and barbequing. Storage, storage, storage (preferably with some a/c storage.) Photos and other delicate items cannot be stored in a garage. Adequate COAT CLOSET near front door. Finding a builder (I can afford) that is tired of BLACK/BROWN, BLACK/BEIGE AND BLACK/BLACK. GOD MADE
RAINBOWS. GIVE ME 'SOME' COLOR. WHITE CABINETS IN KITCHEN W/MINT GREEN WALLS.
ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY: AN A/C INTAKE VENT THAT COMES COMPLETELY OFF THE WALL.
THEN YOU CAN TAKE IT OUTSIDE AND HOSE IT OR PUT IN THE BATHTUB TO CLEAN. WHO IN THIS DAY AND AGE HAS TIME TO SIT ON THE FLOOR FOR 45 MIN. WITH A RAG AND CLEANER TO CLEAN THE SLATS ONE AT A TIME???? DON'T TELL ME TO USE THE VAC, THIS DOES NOT CLEAN
WELL ENOUGH. I HAVE ALLERGIES. THIS SHOULD BE A LAW. SQUARE FOOTAGE FOR A DECENT PRICE. Builders should not be building anything smaller than 1700 sq. ft. If there are
single people out there (maybe). With computers in the home these days you need an extra bedroom just for this mess. I'm tired of the paper work that comes with this so called 'info' age.
Mrs.Charlene Esposito Oh, we need more SUN ROOMS INSTEAD OF PATIOS. OR BOTH.
Swimming pool, fire place, fire pit. Those are my must haves. Oh and a his and hers sink in the bathroom so I don't have to share.
gee i would love a bigger kitchen..give me some counter space already! =) some grass and trees would be great. a fab wrap around porch..a wood stove. 2 floors with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. a tree house..oh my and peace and quiet! im hating this neighborhood im in..
3+ bedrooms, 2+ baths, Gourmet kitchen, Family room, Media room,Central air/heat, fireplace, Back-up generator,Master suite with large closets and nice bathroom,Pool, porch,2 car garage,finished basement, good schools,quiet neighborhood.Large lot,nice garden,outdoor living space, lots of character inside and out.
More than one bathroom! A garage. 3 bedrooms. A sun room. Granite counter tops and plenty of counter space. Stainless steel appliances. Pergo flooring. French doors. Wood burning fireplace. Deck. Family room. Enough storage space. Large yard. Privacy! I could go on and on......
At least 3 bedrooms , attic, basement, garage, porch, yard... All of things I don't have in my current home...
hey ur right up the road! hi
Flag Fri Nov 30, 2012
I must have higher counters in the kitchens and baths
Front porch. Fireplace. Garage. Large updated kitchen. Hardwood floors. Storage. Pretty much move in ready!
Simplicity, Quality,Efficiency !

A weather-ready home, balancing open energy flow in the layout.

Distribution of functional spaces that create opening for natural daylight.

Quality materials that respond well to day to day living.

Ergonomic & strategically organized appliances that contribute to competency of the home.

A soothing retreat who's size balances the needs of it's occupants. !
Basement, garage, garden shed, sun room for my cats >^..^
Art Studio, Workshop, garden shed, pool and spa, guest room, modern wiring, and must be up to code!
Fire place
at least 1 car garage. (Attached or detached)
Basement for storage
MOVE-IN READY; FULL BASEMENT (PART/FINISHED); FENCED BACKYARD; GARAGE; AND LAST, BUT NOT LEAST....A GREAT REALTOR!
1. Impact windows. 2. Impact garage doors. 3. Pool. 4. Florida room. 5. Security alarm.
1. Fireplace
2. Walk in Closets
3. Energy Efficient Appliances and generally energy efficient home.
4.Enough electrical outlets.
5.Heated Floors
Formal dining room. My current home didn't have one when I purchased it, so I had one added. Couldn't have been happier with my decision. Eat-in kitchens are fine (have that, too...), but for adult dinners, nothing beats a dining room that accommodates 6-8 comfortably.
Large flat, grassy backyard
2-4 bed; 2 bath
hardwood floors
white/black kitchen
lots of light
pool/tennis subdivision
brick ranch or cape cod
vintage charm
move-in ready, newer roof/plumbing, etc.
A wall of windows that open and slide away from view that leads into an outdoor space with fireplace, outdoor kitchen, outdoor lounging space and dining area...lots of soft lighting and private ! Indoors, I want a large kitchen / great room area; spacious master with fireplace and zen-style master bath ! the home needs to be totally energy efficient with solar panels on roof...tankless water-heater, etc. A 3 car garage and large lot !
2 story colonial, with 3+ bedrooms on the second floor, 2 bathrooms, a mud room area, and most importantly, a detached garage
1 story modern rustic w/ porches(one screened in), electric fireplace, tankless water heater, energy efficient appliances, 2 BR, 2 BA, large open living area between the bedrooms, lots of windows, swimming pool, about 1-2 acres w/ some privacy(slightly elevated), 2 car garage, laundry room, hardwood, tile & concrete floors, place for garden
Want privacy, large lot with plenty of trees on my side of property line. Need garage for vehicle when visiting out of town. Wouldn't turn down a pool. That's not such a long list and should be obtainable.
My new home must have bathrooms that are already modified or easily modified to accommodate my husband's disability. After recently surviving a horrible accident at work, he is now an leg amputee and can no longer take the long hot baths he used to love to take to unwind. However, upon research I have found that there are modifications available to enable an amputee to enjoy baths safely and comfortably. It is very important to me that my husband he able to continue to live life as normally as possible, so this is why this wish is my most coveted Must Have!

Number 2 must-have on my list is a garage. I am 45 years old and have never had covered parking and I want covered parking!
Nice master retreat with big soaking tub!!!!
1 2