General Area in Fargo>Question Details

Heidi Greer, Other/Just Looking in Fruitland, ID

What's are the best neighborhood(s) and school(s) to look at when moving to Fargo?

Asked by Heidi Greer, Fruitland, ID Sun Nov 2, 2008

My husband has just taken a job in Fargo and will be moving Jan. 7th 2009, I am staying with my three kids in Idaho to finish my boys' hockey season and then will join my husband in March. I have spent countless hours on the internet trying to get a feel for neighborhoods and schools. I am a bit anxious and would love any helpful comments/suggestions. I am a teacher (I teach KIndergarten right now) and I know how important the right decision of neighborhoods and schools can be. Thank you in advance!
Fargo Here We Come!

Let's not forget North Fargo! There are both mature neighborhoods and new construction areas- of course the new construction is on the edge of town- beautiful tree lined streets in longfellow area. There are aslso several private schools- So really it is a matter of preferrence-- It's truely- All About YOU!! Your needs, your dreams, your goals. Fargo has much to offer - shopping to the arts of downtown. What type of home are you currently in? What is your dream home?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2008
The Fargo area has a variety of neighborhood - Of course all are friendly- Each of the schools have a good mix of demographics. The very south side of Fargo has a great mix of newer homes and schools- Bennett, Centenial and Kennedy Elementary- these children will continue to Discovery Middle School and the new Davies High School. Home values in this area range from $110,000 to 300,000+ Incomes are just as varied with a good mix of apartment dwellers in each area. Meanwhile, Lincoln and Lewis and Clark are the mid- south elementary schools and continue to Carl Ben Eilson's new Middle school and South High School along with Clara Barton( older character home area- Awesome small School) and Jefferson- brand new close in school in a character mature tree lined area.

There is also Moorhead and West Fargo to consider. This area definately has a strong Hockey program from Birth to adult!!! Feel free to contact me personally via email -, and I can assist you with further information and answer your questions and give you the scoop- FYI- I am a Realtor and I also work for Fargo Public Schools as a para/ noon supervisor Substitute, I happen to love the Lewis and Clark School area-
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2008
Good Day to you from Fargo- as the snow flies and the children play outside - I thought I would take the opportunity to blog a bit-

In regards to overcrowding and teacher ratios- As with many school districts, budgets and a continuous influx of students moving in and about the FM metro area continue to challenge the local schools- we are a growing metro area!!!! All the schools are educationally sound and unique-

Moorhead recently revamped and built a larger elementary school- and closed scattered small nieghborhood schools- giving many more opportunities for students including Spanish immersion classes in the lower grades.( key note here... My eldest children did attend Moorhead nieghborhood schools from 1989-1999)-

Fargo - a long and narrow community has Northside and Southside systems that have also recently been revamped to reflect a simular K-5, 6-8, and future 9-12 system with anew Highschool being built on the far South end of Fargo. Jefferson elementary School in the center of Fargo was recently rebuilt and along with Clara Barton ( A small neighborhood school) you will find that the center of Fargo is a growing community of families remodeling the older historic homes of Fargo along with the downtown area revialization! Lewis and Clark Elementary is also slotted for an upgrade to the cafetria and media areas this year. Carl Ben Eilson Middle school is newly built and along with South High rounds out a neat area school in the Central Southside of Fargo. Far south Elementary schools in Fargo are larger- and yet another school is in the works to be built- this is a growing community! The northside of Fargo mirrors the near south side in the schools with fabulous neighborhood schools and an identical HighSchool- though while the schools and systems are identical- the identities are strong- North is North Spartans and South is Bruins- and most definately the oldtimers will always say if they are from Fargo North or South-- It is a school Spirit thing.( Note -I graduated Morris,MN -My Husband is a Bruins- I do live on the near south side and am active in PTA)

West Fargo is also a growing community with great schools- here is a community that has kept up with the growth- Not long ago- well- 1990- I would have considered them a smaller community option- no longer- though they deffinately have kept their small town charm!

Did I hear that Northern Cass has Laptops for all highschool students?!--I have yet to verify this- But WOW

Looking for a smaller area school- very close in -Dilworth Glydon Felton, Kindred,.....or private-Grace Lutheran Elementary, Oak Grove, Catholic Network, ...

I guess my point is that there is much to choose from- again it is such a personal choice- It is ...All about You, Your Family, Your lifestyle.

This area really does have only good Schools! If moving into this area- a great way to check out the schools may be to check out the PTA Minutes located at the public school web sites- Or Call the PTA President for that area School. I guess that is what I would do or suggest for a client to do.…
Web Reference:
Heidi, Teachers are the best, and I still remember the four years I spent in kindergarden as some of the best years of my life. Much better than the two years in first grade.

I hope this will help...…
These are links provided byTrulia are great for learning about the area.. .. For neighborhood crime statistics... ...This site will allow you to view neighborhood crime statistics, community info, school scores and breakdowns, housing trends ect... all public record based...good info site

Some school rating sites for comparables...

I hope this helps a bit, now go do your homework and good luck, Dunes
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 28, 2008
For schools here is the list to stay away from: Jefferson and Madison. All the others are good. Fargo schools are overcrowded and student to teacher ratios are high. Moorhead schools are very large, but ratios are better. My Wife is a teacher, she can help you with everything. email her at