General Area in Raleigh>Question Details

Lee,  in Schenectady, NY

What part of the Triangle is best for me?

Asked by Lee, Schenectady, NY Thu Jul 21, 2011

Im a 28 year old married upstate NY'er. I dont want to get funny looks from my neighbors when I say im from NY and I dont fit in well with the Good'ole boys. I also want avoid the retiree group, as Im only 28. I hate traffic and will probably work in the city of Raleigh, so a decent commute would be nice. Im looking to buy a newer house, maybe in the 1200 - 1800 sq ft range. I like the developments, but have a Saint Bernard so the HOA has to accept dogs and not charge alot for their monthly HOA fees. Id like a quiet neighborhood with a yard but that is not far away from some action. Parks, Malls, Restaurants. Im not from the country and dont want to be, but downtown city life is getting old.
Where should I consider???
THANKS!!!
Lee

Answers

21
Lee,

I think you could ask 20 different agents this question and get 25 different answers. I will say that you really can't go wrong in the majority of areas you have to select from in the Triangle. As far as worrying about being from NY and getting funny looks, you should not fret because the Triangle has seen much implants from the Northeast over the past few years. In fact, some people have even referred to Cary as little NY or New Jersey just because of the amount of Northerners you can find in that community, All in all you I would be surprised if you did not really find the majority of the Triangle area communities quite pleasant and enjoyable. People here are friendly, welcoming, and down right hospitable. I want to be the first to welcoming you to our area and know you will be happy with the decision you've made of calling the Triangle home. Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you in your home search needs.

Warm Regards,

Mark
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 21, 2011
Hey Lee,

Just for some info about how real estate works here. The NC the Real Estate Commission does say if you are under a written agreement with an agent to act as your "buyer's agent", you are not supposed to work with another agent as long as that agreement is in effect. Of course you can end such an agreement any time, and change agents.But a real estate agent is not supposed to "encourage" you to do so, or say anything against the agent you are working with. That just isn't an ethical way to do business. I would think on this site, asking for advice would not come under those "rules". One would assume if you were working with an agent, you'd ask them these questions!

Of course mostly real estate agents are answering, Trulia sends these questions to real estate agents, and an agent would at least offer their help. But it is also the real estate agents who can best help you know where in town is best for you, that's what we do every day, learn about neighborhoods and show and sell homes. A person who has lived here for awhile, no matter where they came from, will probably be somewhat limited in their experience as to what neighborhoods would fit your needs, they'd probably just tell you how much they love or dislike where they live! It is not their job to learn about the area. Obviously some people are more aware than others, but most people I know who have lived here less than ten years are relatively clueless about areas not near where they live or work. They don't have time to "study" the area. So you can listen too "neighborly" advice, but it may not be the most "informed" advice.

And by the way, having an agreement with a buyer's agent in NC does not cost you a penny. We are paid by the seller if and when you do buy a house. If you don't buy one, we don't get paid. So often we are just giving advice! As self-employed individuals, we have do to our job well to get paid!
Web Reference: http://www.jbenjey.com
Lee,

You have a Saint Bernard? That is a big dog. I had one myself growing up in Texas and my poor dog got really HOT! Most neighborhoods allow dogs, even big ones like a Sant Bernard.

There are a number of areas that have plenty of "action" for a single 28 year old. It's best to connect with an experienced agent that will listen to your requirements to find you the perfect home!
Without any question at all, you want to look at Durham NC. Check out my website for lots of information about the area and links to dozens of other sites with even more information.
Fell free to contact me either through my profile here on Trulia or my website with any questions you might have.

My wife and I relocated here 8 years ago from Southern Vermont, for absolutely no reason and couldn't be happier. This is an awesome place to live.
I for one am sorry if I offended you. As noted, we can't exactly freely give our opinions. If you had an agent already, and their professional opinion was "you don't want to live in X Neighborhood", then I don't believe I am allowed to tell you "X neighborhood is great - definitely live there" - because I would now be interfering with the relationship you have. As Realtors, we are held to a higher standard than many understand, a standard that most of us take seriously.

As to more specifically your question, I asked some followup questions because it matters. I can find you a $500,000 house that meets every single one of your criteria. But if your budget isn't that high, then we need to find the right house for you in that budget. For some people, a decent commute is 15 minutes, for others it's less than 1 hour. If you own a home, nobody is going to say you can't have a dog. What do you think is a high monthly HOA fee? If you were in such a subdivision, what amenities (pool, etc) would you want? the list goes on an on, and pretty soon after your agent listens to you, the 1-4 right neighborhoods to find a home in become obvious to us.
I thank everyone for their time and advice. Im not naive when I see that 100% of the suggestions are from Real Estate Agents. I realize the motivation is to get me call you and have you be my agent. But Bo says that his ability to give advice as to what might be a good place for a person like me is based on if I have an Agent, HOW SO? Im asking for advice. A child can give a suggestion or advice. Every person in the world has the ability to express opinions, so if someone wants to do that, Id love to hear it. Being that I have about 8 people only interested in gaining me as a client, I think Im all set with that kind of advice. If someone dosent see $$$$$$ when they see my question and just wants to help me out with some neighborly advice and info, I would greatly appreciate it and Im sure you would feel the personal satisfaction that a person receives when being a good neighbor.
Lee,

I understand where you are coming. I lived in NYC for a while before settling in Raleigh. Gen Y buyers especially those relocating often face the same difficulties that you are facing. I was one of the Top 30 under 30 in REALTOR magazine and have also been in Entrepreneur Magazine for working with Gen Y & Gen X buyers and agents. I understand that your desires when buying a home are often different than that of other buyers. I have been selling here in the Raleigh area for the past 17 years and have been an agent since shortly out of high school. I have sold over 1500 homes in the area and know the market very well and would be more than happy to discuss your relocation with you. As Bo said, if you are currently contracted with a buyers agent we are all limited in what we can assist you with. If you are not contracted with a buyers agent feel free to contact any of us for help.

Congrats on your move. It is a great area and the winters are not as rough :)
Web Reference: http://www.WakeHomeTeam.com
1. Do you have a Realtor that you are already working with? If so, then we are all limited in what we can say to you.
2. As others have noted, you will find the Triangle homogenous enough that what we think of as YOUR funny accent will not be a problem :)
3. The geographic location of your work is important. WIth this, a Realtor should be able to get you a commute you seek. However, if you are working in downtown Raleigh, you should be able to find a 20 minute commute or less, depending on ...
4. What is your pre-qualified or desired price range? It looks like Schenectady has a very wide range of prices, so understanding what you EXPECT a home to cost is important.
Lee,
I'm an upstate New Yorker myself and have been down south for quite a while so I can empathize with your transition. Sounds like you need a tour of some of our neighborhoods, before making a decision. Knowing where you will be working, to avoid a long commute, will also be important if you don't like traffic. When would you like to get started with your search? Email me: brenda.porter@ziprealty.com or call me Toll Free: 1-800-225-5947 x8554, and I will be happy to show you around.
Lee,

The best location for anyone should be determined strictly by them.....one could only hope they would know their needs best......
You might like Delta Ridge, off Glenwood Avenue in NW Raleigh. Close to Conveniences, and Umstead Park:
http://www.nohasslepropertysearch.idxco.com/idx/4328/results…

You also may like Lennar's new community, Inside Wade, but they are just getting started and the homes are a little larger than you indicated:

Westborough is just a bit further out, but has homes of the size you asked about:

.
Hey Lee!

Welcome to NC! You will love it here! I was born in Raleigh but live in Cary. Raleigh is more expensive - especially if you are looking for something near downtown. Raleigh's downtown has been quite a gathering place for the 20 - 30 age group. Lots of bars/restaurants and a free bus that travels the 4 districts of downtown Raleigh on the weekends.
Cary is great too, but more subdued. More affordable and still great resale value. Not that far from downtown Raleigh or downtown Apex which is pretty hopping too. Would love to show you around! I've helped lots of yankees move to the area. Call me at 919-218-8973 or email me at LindaMorris@KW.com.
Web Reference: http://www.rduhomes4u.com
It's getting late and this week I showed over 30 homes to a client relocating here. So I guess I didn't make the connection. I thought it was a hoot that you mentioned having a home that wasn't older than you! But the truth is, a new house in the near downtown area would probably be at least $500,000! The land is like gold, location, location, and the lots are .15 acre on average. I know because I've been looking this week! But if you can live with something built in the 80s, there is plenty with less than 1/2 hour commute to downtown. Or in the 70s you can get to 20 minutes. Otherwise you are looking at a very old house near downtown. Many of these homes about your age or a little older have been updated and are really nice!
Web Reference: http://www.jbenjey.com
Hey Jeanette, Lee is me, the person asking the question, not giving the advice. When someone gives an answer to my original question, it raises other questions and the only way to ask more questions is to answer the original question. Im totally in the dark on this and appreciate everyone taking their time to help.
Sorry Lee has such a bad picture of Cary, I totally disagree. I lived in the SE corner of Cary for years and worked downtown and it was an easy commute via I-40 since most of the traffic in the AM is going west and you would be going East, and in the afternoon you would be going the opposite way of most of the traffic. That part of Cary has many reasonably priced homes and the yards are often larger since the area was primarily built in the 1970-90s. I've also found there are more young people since the homes are more affordable. They do not cost more than homes in Raleigh, I disagree with that. Plus it is full of shopping, Cary Towne Center and Crossroads! You will not find much in the way of new homes close to the city, at a reasonable price.

Morrisville would be a longer commute and most of Morrisville is under the flight paths of RDU airport. Garner is a good option, south of downtown, but you'd find more to do in Cary and just as easy a commute to "Glenwood" south, the restaurant/bar area that is "the" gathering place for the 20-30 set!

I've lived here for almost 40 years, I am a relocated Yankee, and moved 8 times since I've been here, and lived in just about every area. Be glad to help you relocate!

Jeanette Benjey
http://www.jbenjey.com
If you want to call this evening that is fine!

John
Lee,

This area has such a remarkable mix of people from all over the world. You will find just the right place for you and your family. This is a sophisticated area with lots of parks, shopping, medical, universities, cultural activities and so much more.

I relocated here from the northeast and love it. Give me a call at 919-434-7308 or john.netherton@ziprealty.com and I can fill you in more.

John
Are there nice Suburban neighborhoods of Raleigh with newer, quiet neighborhoods with trees and parks? Or is it older homes and a more city feel. Im coming from that and I like the idea of buy a house that is younger than me (28 years old).
If you are going to work in Raleigh, then Raleigh or Cary are the two places that offer the short commute. If you would like the advice of another yankee, give me a call!
What is Cary like??? Is it a bunch of old retirees? Obnoxious, loud mouthed Brooklyners as the name suggests? Is it more expensive than other Suburbs of Raleigh? On the map I see Knightdale, Garner and Morrisville. What are they like in comparison to Cary in regards to Home Prices and the concern with being a Yankee?
Dear New Yorker:

You may have heard that Cary stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" so this would be my first suggestion. However, a more hyper local analysis will be needed to determine if you want the backyard b-b-que culture or prefer a neighborhood with history and character. Be happy to give you additional pointers in a more frank format.

Happy house hunting!

Relocated Yankee (via South Florida)
Cathy Sentgeorge