Oz, Both Buyer and Seller in 94107

What online resources can I tap into to educate myself about Sonoma County real estate?

Asked by Oz, 94107 Mon May 14, 2012

Are there Sonoma County centric real estate blog site like curbed.com (LA, NY, SF, etc.) and SocketSite.com (for SF)?
My objective is to learn about the different locations in Sonoma County so when the time comes to buy a property I have an idea of where I want to be. I am familiar with the area as a visitor but putting a stake in the ground and buying a piece of property is a whole different story.
Experience also shows that if I have a good enough idea of where I want to focus and what property criteria I have, the realtor can be much more effective when I am ready to make the purchase.

Any advice?

Answers

3
Pam Buda’s answer
I work with a lot of out of the area buyers and very few of them have limited their search to one area when we begin working together. Oftne they may be familiar with some locations but not realize that there are many more possibilities.

A good realtor here is going to be able to help you with that process. Probably the most important criteria for you to define is the vision of what you want, and some price parameters. We have such a wonderful range of locations and homes, from country properties and estates to charming, walk to the plaza type homes that you have a broad range of options.

I don't know of a mini-Curbed for our area (I think Trulia is trying to provide some of that.), but I have been blogging on Sonoma County real estate since 2007 at the address below, so there you will find real estate stats, some lifestyle features and various buyer's guides. Plus a map-based home search that is pretty intuitive. With new buyer clients, I also offer a visualization exercise to further sharpen the wants/needs list. You can find my contact info there if and when you would like to talk, Good luck with tyour search.

PS I have just come across a book called Shift and Shout, written by a Berkeley couple who document their journey from the Bay Area to a new life in Sonoma County. I will be reviewing it shortly but you might check it out. It could provide some of what you are looking for!
I think Tim has a good idea. There are lots of Sonoma County sites, but nothing as polished as curbed.com. I write a bit at my sonoma.net site, but probably not the narrow, community by community site as you are looking for. You could also try activerain which has a pretty good collection of agents writing blog posts about their specific areas.
I don't know diddly about Sonoma County centric real estate, but I just entered Sonoma County centric real estate in a google search box and had a dozen pages of links. You might give it a try.