General Area in Norfolk>Question Details

Amanda Nowak, Other/Just Looking in Powell, TN

What neighborhoods/zip codes in Norfolk should we avoid?

Asked by Amanda Nowak, Powell, TN Mon Feb 4, 2013

I grew up in Virginia Beach, so I know the 757 kinda, but I think of Norfolk as sketchy in general, which I know isn't completely true. My husband grew up in 23502, which is a nice little area, but I have a friend who grew up off of Tidewater Dr. on Verdun and we weren't allowed outside after dark because of the high rape/crime rates. We're looking to move back and Norfolk in general is cheaper than Virginia Beach and Chesapeake.

Answers

8
DO NOT MOVE TO NORFOLK. You have kids. Move to Chesapeake- Zip 23322. That is known as the Hickory area. It is one of the safest areas with some of the best schools in Hampton Roads and Virginia. Advice I would give my sister. I am a native and Navy wife- Best wishes!
I would say avoid military housing and Norfolk
Amanda,

The rule of thumb when choosing real estate, as residence or investment, is to go there during the daytime and then again at night. This will allow you to determine your level of comfort in any neighborhood, anywhere. During your observations, keep in mind the decibel levels and the local parking habits of the people (line dancing is for the dance floor, not the parking lot!) During seasons of warmer weather is the best time to evaluate, because most people are outside enjoying great outdoors.

If you have any questions, feel free to call me anytime.
Brian Keller
(757)274-8504
I believe Norfolk, like any other city, has it's good and bad. Drive around and find neighborhoods you like the look of- and speak to people in the neighborhood. You can check out crime stats at several websites (e.g., neighborhoodscout.com) and some good general information at zipskinny.com. Plesae do not hesitate to contact me if you would like me to show you some homes in various neighborhoods!
Norfolk is hit or miss. I live I. 23513 and our neighbor hood is est. and quite but on the other side of 5points it's not cool. Virginia beach is getting worse than Norfolk.
Let me say that there are sites where you can research crime, schools and really anything you have questions about in the City of Norfolk. Try google or search the City of Norfolk website for everything you have questions about the city. We have more available to us in the information highway...the internet. Also, the police departments can assist you with answers to your questions. I've sold many homes to individuals who have lived a lovely life in Norfolk for many years and have been very happy there. Just do your research first. Good Luck...
Hi Amanda,

Mick is right, there are some great areas in Norfolk & it is a wonderful city to live in. I have also lived here all of my life. All cities have those certain places that one may not like. Unfortunately, "by law", we as Realtors are unable to provide that type of information. If you have particular properties in mind, I'll be happy to send you the numbers to the police stations in that city ( or all cities for that matter), and you can contact them for crime rates in those areas.

Please call, email text...whatever is best for you, and we can discuss your needs & your options. I would love to help you find your new home. You may also go to my website and set up a search for yourself, where you can make changes to that search at any time. Link is below.

Looking forward to it~

Vicki Woody
Accredited Buyer Representative
Long & Foster Realtors

(757) 685-3842
Email: vicki@vickiwoody.com
Web Reference: http://www.vickiwoody.com
Amanda,
Norfolk is a wonderful city! I see you are from Powell. My wife is from Fountain City and her sister still lives in Powell (Heiskell actually) and all her kids attended Powell HS. I am confident I can help you find a home and a neighborhood you will love...IN NORFOLK! I have lived in Norfolk all of my 52 years. Norfolk offers great home values in great neighborhoods that are close to the bases, parks, beaches, places of worship, great shopping, good schools and is centrally located to access all the best places Hampton Roads has to offer. Call or text me at 757-286-0800 or e-mail me at mick@mickshaw.com or search the entire MLS free with no registration required at http://www.MickShaw.com. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!