General Area in Philadelphia>Question Details

Julie, Home Buyer in Queens, NY

What neighborhoods in Philadelphia are desirable, family oriented, with good schools and are affordable?

Asked by Julie, Queens, NY Sun Apr 5, 2009

We are thinking of moving from Queens.

Answers

5
Hi Julie,

A big advantage for you is moving from NY to PA that you will pay MUCH LESS tax than you do now - provided that you don't live or work in Philly proper.

In NY your State income tax is:

income between $20,001 and $100,000, your tax rate is 6.85%.
income between $100,001 and $500,000, your tax rate is 7.375%.

In PA your state income tax is 3.03%. NICE, right?!!! But if you live or work in Philly you'll also pay 4% city tax.

So - please do consider living in nearby Bucks County (just north of Philly). They have some of the best school systems in the entire state. And are still close to whatever you like with major highways nearby. Note - a few towns in Bucks do have a 1% earned income tax (wage tax) - but you can easily avoid these towns. Several towns that I would recommend for your consideration are the following: Trevose, Langhorne, Yardley, Bristol Borough (not Bristol township though). None of these have the 1% wage tax.

Moreover your PROPERTY Tax will be MUCH lower in PA. Your money will go a long way out here. That's why I'm moving from NJ to PA - quite literally just across the river (well - and 12 miles south).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 5, 2009
I Rent (and grew up) in Roxborough but now looking to buy in the suburbs, better tax rates and school system is better than the city. Roxborough is a safe area but getting too pricey. Philadelphia school system is ranked very low. I would suggest if you have or planning to have kids you should take a look at the schools district rating:

http://www.phillymag.com/files/images/Full_ranking.pdf
i live in mayfair.....within walking distance of my home, walking distance 4 blocks ,we have two catholic schools, st tims and st mats...two public schools, two private schools, you catch the drift....yes there is some crime every major city has some....speaking for myself, i have lived here twenty yrs without incident.....there are playgrounds, plenty of shopping, ez public transportation, the center of performing arts is two minutes away, homes sell anywhere from 100000to 160000, taxes are low.....all in all a good place to live...
Julie,

If you haven't already had a chance to read my blog, you should. I have a lot of great articles about the first-time home buyer $8000 tax credit as well as buyer agency which will be very important to you during your search.

Your question is very broad and simply can't be answered with a few sentences. There is much research you need to do.

Feel free to pick my brain.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION REALTY
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office Ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com
Hi Julie,

There are many great family oriented neighborhoods in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas.

It will all depend on how much home you can afford and what type of home you would like such as a twin, a row or a single.

Feel free to go onto my website and choose search MLS. You can put in your criteria and whenever a home comes on the market that matches what you are looking for, it will be emailed to you. http://www.reneeporsia.com

I would love to answer all of your questions, feel free to email me or give me a call at (215) 669-0589.

What is your exact time frame?

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION REALTY
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com Read my latest blog.