General Area in Palatine>Question Details

Crystal Ritc…, Other/Just Looking in Palatine, IL

What kind of obligation does my landlord have to keep the common hallway area clean and safe? The carpet has

Asked by Crystal Ritchie, Palatine, IL Wed Jun 25, 2008

not been cleaned in the 3 years I have lived here, he uses the laundry room for storage, and even has stuff between the wall and dryer. Recently he took 6 weeks to repair the washer and left dirty water in it for the entire time. My neighbors constantly stand in the hallway drink, smoke and leave their beer bottles all over the place. Can I withhold rent until he cleans up the building? Who can I contact in the suburbs to force him to clean up if he doesn't?

Answers

1
Crystal - Call the local government office (town or city hall) and ask them who should be contracted. They will most likely put you through to the local health department, or they may send you to the fire department (stuff behind the dryer sounds like a fire hazard). You might also talk to a lawyer about putting some of your rent into escrow until the cleanup occurs. Don't just withold payment - that could result in you being evicted for non-payment!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 25, 2008