General Area in Lusby>Question Details

EBB, Both Buyer and Seller in 20657

What is the use of a lot where perc has failed?

Asked by EBB, 20657 Mon Jun 18, 2007

Answers

7
Keep horses? Put up a storage building? Hunt? Over time, perhaps municipal water and sewer will be available, so if you're looking to buy and hold it might make sense. They're not making any more dirt, after all. =)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 18, 2007
In the case where land has failed to perc, two important views to consider come up. First, the neighboring property owner may be your most interested party in acquiring the 'privacy' land thereby increasing the size of their own real estate holdings, whether or not the land does or does not perc. Secondly, some important influencing factors of getting your land to perc are 1. What time of the year you choose to try the perc test (for example, try the perc test in the hotter weather season when the water table will be at its lowest), and 2. Locate the best choice of test sites on the land where the soil conditions may prove to be most favorable to successful perking.
Contact me and I will provide you with the names of 3 local professionals to advise you on both when, and where, to perform the perc testing so that you will have the greatest chances of getting your land to perc!
Contact a licensed soil scientist in your area to see if there might be options available to you...

Larry Thompson
NCLSS No. 1287
Web Reference: http://www.thompsonenv.com
All of Lusby is on well and septic. Depending on the lot size, you may be alble to re-perk. I've seen lots perk in some spots on a lot and not in other areas. If you want to send me the lots info I can research it.
Take Care
Monique Hailer
CENTURY 21 New Millennium
M: 443.532.5407
Email: moniquehailer@mris.com
O:410.326.1700
Web Reference: http://www.somdforsale.com
Hi Ebb,

Very good question. Life is not over for the property. First, there are always alternative choices for septic systems. My first chose would be to inquire about the recent perc test. Did they search the entire property for a exceptable site? Can you appeal the results? What time of the year was the perc test taken, certain times of the year the water level is lower than others. If these first steps fail then I would consider an alternative or what some people call modied septic systems. They are not all expensive some are moderatley priced it depends on the perc letter requiremnents. Good Luck
This is a question that is hard to answer without more of the details!!! Many options might exist depending on the layout of the lot the typography, the soils, when was the lot last perc tested, which county is it in, was it perced for conventional system, sandmound? Who was the engineer and have they looked into other options?

Basically as it stands a lot that does not have an appoved perc is not eligable to build a house on. You certainly can use the land for any other legal purposes you might choose. Most land like this is used for recreation or agriculture! What is the zoning of the lot and what county is it located in? Maybe I can help you with a bit more information!
Just because a lot does not pass a conventional perc test, does not mean it is not developable w/o city sewer service. Check with your county concerning approvability of alternate drainfield systems. It might be a bit more expensive or qualify for fewer bdrms than a conventional system, but it may expand your options. You could also find an available neighboring lot that percs, have the 2 lots legally combined, then use the spot on the 2nd lot for your septic system.