Patricia Mat…, Home Buyer in Maple Valley, WA

What is the population like at Sun City Festival...Professionals? Educated? Blue collar? Military? Teachers?

Asked by Patricia Matin, Maple Valley, WA Sun Apr 3, 2011

This is a retirement community that is essentially a ghost town. It is an hour away from the city center and close to absolutely nothing of interest unless you like old people riding around in golf carts. These are the communities that are making phoenix quite possibly the most unsustainable city in the world. Tract homes built by a developer with no respect for the land or for anything other than turning a profit. Unfortunately for them they built a community in the middle of nowhere right as the recession came along. I sincerely hope they lost buckets of cash and are rethinking the way that they develop the land as anyone that wishes to live in exurbia should rethink their effect on the environment, culture, and community...
I personally know nothing about the Sun City Festival area specifically other than it is off the beaten path. My concern with the out of the way places that are really slated for future development is that with the economic slumber (to put it lightly), these areas suffer the most and take the longest time to recuperate: because they have no infrastructure to support them now and people can buy closer to town and more desirable areas now that they are so inexpensive. I live in Verrado, in Buckeye and I know several folks that moved form Sun City and the 55 plus communities here because they just wanted more of a mix of people.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 4, 2011… (go to this site for demographics)

All though Sun City Festival has a Buckeye address, the community is closest to Surprise/SunCity West, AZ. This is a master planned commnity with a mixture of demographics. There are young families on one side and a 55+ community on the other. There is golf, a club house and plans to put in a supermarket. It is off the beaten path right now, but is right in the path of future development. Festival is about 15 minutes from shopping, and smack in the middle of some of our greatest scenic views. If you are interested in the 55 community, its ammenties are included with Sun City West and vice versa, which is also 15 minutes away.
Patricia, I have had the opportunity to meet a cross section of home owners and prospective homeowners in Sun City Festival and find a cross section of second home buyers as residents and/or second home buyers. The "out of town" environment and newest of the Del Webb Sun City communities here in northwest Maricopa County attracts many buyers looking for an "out of town" environment and many enjoy touring the area by motorcycle. As noted by one of the previous respondents, there are a high percentage of homeowers from the Pacific Northwest and western Canada. The demographics include corporate types, small business owners, public servants, all looking for the Active Adult lifestyle available and attracted by the Green amenities available, including solar tile for the roof material that allows energy conservation and avails the purchaser of available tax credits. It would be my pleasure to represent you and offer you opportunities to consider resale homes in Sun City Festival and/or work with you should you opt to purchase a new build in this wonderful community. Phyllis Borchardt
Sun City Festival is a mixture of people of all different backgrounds. As a fellow Washingtonian, I have met many people from the Northwest and Canada and sold them homes in Festival because the like how quite it is. The community is a quick 15 minute drive from Surprise, and I find the drive most enjoyable. It is a quite 4 lane road and you will find many bike riders from
Festival along the route. In the spring the wild flowers are out and the mountains are loaded with saguaro cactus.
It is a very nice area with beautiful sunsets and the people are very friendly and enjoy each others company.
I prefer to work Sun City Festival over other communities.

Keller Williams Realty P.P.
If you are referring to the community here in AZ you can ask your agent to have a title company pull the demographics for that area for you. A lot of people have been buying second homes there and there is a small community of Canadians buying second homes. It's a beautiful place with great amenities. You should drive around and talk to residents living there to see if it's a place where you want to call home. The only drawback to it that I'm hearing is the distance from town.