Johanna Wise…, Real Estate Pro in Somerset County, NJ

What is the meaning of the signs I am seeing as I drive around Somerset County: "No Strangers In Our Schools" ?

Asked by Johanna Wiseman /Sandy O'Keefe, Somerset County, NJ Wed Mar 23, 2011

Answers

4
Rather than guess I did a google search and found many links. Here is one that sort of sums up what the signs mean. I think their use of the proper words were a poor choice, perhaps from being public school educated - like me. It seems this comes from budget cuts and changes from that.

From Google:

Well here's the story. Our town last year with numbers not normal to our town voted down the school budget. This was in a time when state aid was reduced, yet the budget was still voted down. Now understand budgets in this town never get voted down. So we went through a lot last year. We asked of the school board to use our money more effeciently.

The school board made the cuts they had to last year and looked elsewhere for savings this budget round. Now granted we have all been chanting cut from the top, it's always top heavy. They actually did eliminate some positions, not the one's we were referring to necessarily but they did. Well, they have looked at privatizing our busing. I am attending a meeting tonight to learn the true benefits and downfalls of this.

These signs represent the privatizing of our school buses/drivers.

There's more, but I am curious about what you think now.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 23, 2011
Okay, so this is about outsourcing? VERY poor choice of words. How about, "No outside employees in our schools" instead? With the current wording, it seems xenophobic and I am sure the signs make many people uncomfortable, myself included. It's a waste of money and effort, in my opinion.
Hi Johanna, good question, I've wondered the same thing - to tell you the truth, it sort of "creeps me out" to see those signs. Doesn't fit with my view of our area, but the google search helps to explain the situation. The quality of our schools is a strength - those signs are confusing.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
The words "No strangers in our schools" can mean, can infer, "Let's not treat each other as strangers in our school. None of us are or need be strangers. Let's break down the artificial barriers between us." In that sense, "No Strangers in Our Schools" is a positive goal
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com