Question Details

Joe Daiker, Real Estate Pro in Happy Valley, OR

What is the main function of Trulia? Is it primarily a client capture program. I just became a member via

Asked by Joe Daiker, Happy Valley, OR Sat Jun 21, 2008

my new real estate company.

Answers

5
It is primarily a place for people to come and tell Realtors how little we know and other bashing, have your broker look through some very active posts on here before jumping blindly in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joe, while there are certainly a few who like to bash Realtors here, there are many who are sincerely here to ask valid questions, and plenty of Realtors who are willing and eager to do so. Client capture is not a primary aspect of Trulia, in my opinion, in fact I think it's very low on the totem pole for most of the active Realtors here.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Hi Joe:

I would welcome you to join Trulia. As in any online forum with much exposure, you will have people who comes in with negative attitude, but the majority are honest buyers and sellers and real estate pros who have concerns, questions or just want to exchange ideas.

Some prospective buyers and sellers come in, get information and leave; some will find certain realtor's answers valuable and decide to retain their services; others, they come and go.

All part of business.

There are great contributors on Trulia (both real estate pros and customers) and there are 'horrible' contributors. I personally find the site interesting and have learned a lot from consumers and real estate pros alike. For regular contributors, I understand their background, their style of answering questions and have a sense of how much (or little) they know and how sincere they are. You get a sense of each and decide what and who you want to contribute to.

You can also pick the post you want to contribute to. Some I find worthwhile, others, I stay away.

Everything, just like life, is in the attitude. You can make it a very positive experience if you choose to, or not - the last sentence is for the NAYsayers on Trulia :-)

Good luck with your new company. Sounds like they are up on the new things in the industry!

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 21, 2008
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
Hi Joe,

I see Trulia more as a professional education tool. Some answers are not well thought out as if the agents are strictly using this as a forum to get leads. They are the ones that answer question after question with little value in the answer. Others are amazingly thorough and do not list any links back to their website.

I have seen an average of 10-15 clickthroughs from Trulia back to my website each month. Sooner or later I'll find a client or friend or both. Although this may help get leads, the tried and tested methods still work best, referrals and farming. I have found that for Internet-based activities, the more information you provide, particularly about community resources, the more traffic you will get to your website. Surprisingly, my highest traffic page on my website is the one where I list info such as school information, moving and pets:
http://www.hawaiihome.biz/links_main.shtml (the search engines like it too)

I hope all goes well with the new company!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 21, 2008
I have become of a fan of Trulia's Q&A function. I too have learned a lot from RE Pros and customers.

I try not to be negative and try to keep in mind that most agents are great people trying to help sellers and buyers reach thier goals.

My main concern with (some) RE agents is that sometimes they seem to have rose colored glasses on.
Joe,
We get the challenger and the nattering nabobs of negativism but there have been many many more good questions and aswers than bad. I see it as a platform to give information and insight, but really I like to write and I find interesting questions and views to write about.

I completely agree with Sylvia when she said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have found other agents around the country that I feel that I know. I have had people contact me from Trulia, once it was an issue that became quite messy but had to be dealt with and most recently I was corrected in a word I used that wasn't a word. I've also been contacted with business intention but that is not the reason to be here.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA