General Area in California>Question Details

Alex K, Other/Just Looking in California

What is the best internet provider?

Asked by Alex K, California Mon Jul 2, 2007

Answers

11
It depends where you live and what services are important to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2007
Nowadays there are lot of internet service providers who offer fastest internet service.
Speed of your internet connection depends upon your location and plan.
Without knowing your current location,I can't give name of best internet service provider.If you want to get best internet service around your location,try to read some reviews.In my location Comcast provide good internet service.Through some reviews i chose Comcast service.
For me Download speed-20.047mbps Upload speed-6.043mbps I checked my internet speed using http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ What do you think about my internet speed?
My personal preference is Verizon High-speed DSL. I used to have Comcast Cable and experienced many issues, including excessive down time. Since I have had Verizon DSL, I have not experienced any problem and the difference in speed is almost unnoticeable. Additionally, Verizon is in the process of upgrading their infrastructure to fiber (FIOS) and once that is completed it should blow Comcast, and all other providers, out of the water.
Personally, I like my comcast high speed cable. Fast and reliable.
In some areas there are cable monopolies so you're stuck with a particular provider or go DSL. Cable speeds are faster in most cases, but for most consumers, any non-dial up connection will do. If you are a power user, then your company should be able to tell you who and what to get.

I have comcast here and there's some quirkiness that I'm not too fond of, but the actual internet connection is pretty good. (I've had DSL and Cable connections)
Web Reference: http://www.jrjarvis.com
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
I, like Roger, have Earthlink DSL. I started with dial-up service service with MindSpring back in the mid-80's and then Earthlink when they bought them out. Switched to Earthlink DSL once available in my area about 4-5 years ago. We have experienced maybe 1 or 2 outtages that I am aware of during that time. Never an issue with bandwidth (up or download) and customer service has been acceptable.
TED SHOOP, Real Estate Pro in Buford, GA
We always find out where the internet service is fed from... This will determine speed of information. We had cable/dsl and now have AT&T regular dsl. I see no difference in the speed and have enjoyed the customer service.
Totally agree with Rebecca -- for example so praised Earthlink DSL totally sucks in my area. I have a Comcast (AT&T) cable and I am very happy about.
I've had Earthlink DSL for 7 years. Once the service is up and running, it works quite well, with very, very few outages. Earthlink also doesn't appear to monitor usage too closely, unlike some ISPs which throttle your speed if you exceed certain bandwidth usage limits. Getting the service up and running, however, is another, nightmarish story...
We have ben using Bellsouth.net for years and are soooo happy
In the San Gabriel Valley area, SBCGlobal or AT&T seems to do great.