General Area in Haddonfield>Question Details

Md, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

What is the best South Jersey neighborhood to raise a family?

Asked by Md, Philadelphia, PA Tue Apr 22, 2008

I grew up in the city and want to be around people. My wife wants to be in a safe place where we can have a parking space and our kids can play outside. It seems like Haddonfield is pretty ideal (especially since it's still close to Philadelphia) but what other, more affordable options should we look at?

Answers

7
Take a look at Haddon Township and Collingswood which neighbor Haddonfield and are more affordable. All three towns (Haddonfield, Haddon Township and Collingswood) are easily accessible via the train to Philly, have many community parks and have main streets with specialty stores and restaurants.
If you have kids and plan on them attending public schools then Collingswood HS is NOT an option. Last year they were ranked 287 out of 320 (graduation rate, rate into college, SAT scores etc). The elementary schools are strong but it starts to go downhill when you get into middle school.
Flag Mon May 13, 2013
West Deptford NJ is a great place to raise a family.
There are a lot of factors that go into that. As a Realtor we can not comment on neighborhoods or schools. I would try searching the web for some info.
Depending on your price range, Mullica Hill is also a great area for families. My husband works in Philadelphia and his commute is approximately 20 minutes in the morning. He goes in early (6:30-7:00) but usually has no problems. Mullica Hill has a wonderful school system and also boasts lots for families to do. Harrison Township day is coming up on May 2nd and 3rd. Stop by and check out what the town has to offer. There will be a parade Saturday morning and lots of rides and vendors at Ella Harris Park. Hope to see you and your family there.
Hi Md,

I am also a former Philadelphian and have lived in the South Jersey area for over 25 years. Over 20% of my clients are originally from Philadelphia and they are typically looking for the same things, safe neighborhoods, ample parking and good schools.

Haddonfield is an awesome town with a great downtown shopping area, excellent schools, and beautiful higher priced homes. What type of home are you looking for, price range, etc.? There are many fantastic neighborhoods and towns in south jersey that will allow you to be in center city within 15 to 20 minutes. My suggestion is to take a Sat. afternoon and drive through some of these towns, for example: Collingswood, Haddon Township, Haddon Heights, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Cinnaminson, Delran, Mt. Laurel, Moorestown, etc. You could save some time by working with an agent that knows theses areas and will listen to your needs and desires.

I think that you will love the small town atmosphere. It may take a little longer when you go to the supermarket because you always end up running into someone you know.

Rosanne Gentile
Broker - Sales Associate
Weichert, Realtors
856 235-1950 x 140
609 680-8490 cell
Hello, live right outside of Haddonfield and my office is in Cherry Hill. There are many great communities in South Jersey. The answer to your questions lies in many variables. Do you prefer new construction or well established communites with mature trees, etc.., What's your budget? How close of a commute would you like to be to the city. I have helped many families find the best value for their prefered lifestyle. Feel free to call me anytime direct at 856-685-1651 or email me at jeremyhill@kw.com. You can visit my website for free school reports as well.
Md,

Personally I love where I live and market real estate. I am located on the Jersey Shore a small town half way between Long Beach Island and Atlantic City on the Great Bay called Little Egg Harbor Township. Great schools with tons of year round activities, clubs, sports with a great teachers. Activities for any interest from the outdoors, like fishing, boating, golf, hunting, wild life,the beaches, lake, steames state parks, and or course the bay and ocean. Fine arts locat as well as a quick commute to Philadelphia and New York. Many variety of neighborhoods from wooded, waterfront, acreage, older homes, new construction, townhomes, adult communities and condos. Feel free to check out our town on the web and surrounding areas. Should you need my help or have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Good luck .