General Area in Houston>Question Details

Beth27, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

What is the average days on market for homes in the houston MLS in the past 30 days?

Asked by Beth27, Houston, TX Thu May 20, 2010

I need to know the average days on market for homes sold in the past 30 days in the HAR MLS. No specific location, just all solds(with the exception of owner finance financing)
I can do the search on MLS and it brings up a few thousand but can only get an average for the first 250.
Please help1

Answers

4
According to HAR Marta is correct. It also does depend on how you price, stage and market your home.
There has been a boost in home sales the past couple of months but even though the homebyers tax credit is over there are still lots of incentives to buyers including lower interest rates.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 21, 2010
Based on statistics from HAR, single-family homes in Houston are taking about 2 months to sell and townhomes/condos are taking a bit longer - about 3-4 months. However, to get a bett idea and a more accurate answer you should narrow your search to each subdivision. All subdivision are different and some may take longer than others. There has also been an increase in the number of homes that have sold in the past 2 months from this same time last year. This may be due to the federal tax refund for 1st Time Homebuyers and Move-Up Buyers that expired on April 30th. If so, this may have lessened the time on the market for some homes as buyers were on a deadline to be under contract. Now that the tax credit program is over, the days on market for some homes may change. You really should keep all that in mind when determining how long it may take you to sell your home in the Houston area.

Marta Guerrero
Marta@MartaGuerrero.com
It really depends on the area of town too. If you are going for a specific subdivision or area, it is better to look at that area specifically and get the data there, and you will get a more precise DOM.
That is a difficult, if not impossible question to answer. The reason is, the way HAR calculates it, it doesn't take into account the total number of days the property has been on the market. For instance, if I list a home for sale and have it listed for 120 days, that number starts counting toward days on the market. However, if I don't sell that home during that time and the seller goes and lists it with someone else after that initial 120 day period, the clock starts over again at zero. Additionally, if I list a property for 120 days and after 45 days, I decide I need to try and get more activity, I may terminate it and put it back in as a new listing (this is a violation of MLS rules, but it is done from time to time). Again, when I enter it as a new listing, the clock goes back to zero. So you can see, the number of days shown as "on the market" is truly just an indication of the time on the market since it was most recently entered as a new listing...not a true indication of the total time on the market at all. Agents have access to something called CDOM (Cumulative Days on the Market) on each individual house, but it is not a stat HAR gives out for all properties together. It would probably scare a lot of people if that number were known. I'm not sure of why you are looking for the number, but if it is to help establish something for a specific property, you'd be better off confining it to that subdivision. Real estate is an extremely local market and in a city the size of Houston, what plays in one part of town has absolutely no relevance in another. Hope that helps.