General Area in Palmdale>Question Details

cindershot, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

What is the average cost to run an A/C in Palmdale, Ca for a 2,500 Sq Ft home?

Asked by cindershot, Los Angeles, CA Sun Jan 19, 2014

I am looking to move to Palmdale, Ca next month. I am interested in knowing the cost of utilities and the cost to cool down the house with central air conditioning. Thank you.

Answers

4
My summer electric on 2500 sq ft 2 story with 2 units averages $375 a month
Hi there,
The cost to run the air conditioning will depend on a few different factors. The efficiency, age and condition of the unit is important as well as the insulation, windows, and duct work of the home. These are important factors to look out for when deciding on a home to live in. And bear in mind, Palmdale has a very hot climate and you will likely find yourself running the air most of the time in the summer. Hope this info helps!
Palmdale is a desert area with summer temps over 95 almost every day. Peak summer A/C use will cost $250-300 per month in July and Aug.
It depends on how well insulated the home is. Newer homes will usually have better insulation. A lot of older homes are built up on raised foundations with no insulation under the house. Other common problems I see are drafts coming in from fireplaces, old single pane windows, and missing door seals. If you have any of these problems it is worth spending the money or time to fix them because you could be spending $300- $400 a month to cool the house. A well insulated homes electric bill in the summer should be around $75-$150.