I would check the Megan Law Website http://www.meganslaws.ca.gov to see if any sex offenders live in the area. I recommend this to all of my clients with young children regardless of the area.
You can also check the crime stats at http://www.sandiego.gov/police/stats if you have concerns about crime. Many of my clients use this if they have any concerns.
Living near a freeway is convenient but as you mentioned the trade off is increased noise. Depending on the particular street you live on there may be increased traffic, especially during the commute times.
Hope this helps.
Myles Weisman & Assocs.
You have received a lot of good advice regarding your question. Please know that this one of the most difficult questions to answer, even for seasoned professionals in the real estate industry. The true answer is based upon a combination of your needs and wants and how those stack up against one another. Here are some of the key criteria when we work with home buyers:
1. Talk with a few national lenders (Wells Fargo, Chase, B of A, etc) to find out what you can afford
2. What kind of property do you want? Single family, town house or condominium. Each type of purchase can be different in terms of financing and the purchase.
3. What are your needs in terms of a school system? Age of your kids, transportation, etc.
4. How close do you want to be to your employment?
5. What kinds of shopping do you need and how close do you want it to be? Grocery, clothing, specialty stores, etc.
6. What kinds of activities are your kids involved in? Sports, dance, music, etc.
7. What kinds of activities do you like? Sports, theater, music, movies, etc.
8. What kind of neighborhood do you want? Subdivision, rural, etc.
9. What kind of area & climate do you want? Coastal, Mountain or desert?
10. What do you consider safe? Street traffic, crime, etc.
We feel that once you have considered these questions, the answer will come to you.
Best to you,
Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Greater San Diego
Lets sit down and go over your wants, needs and goals. You will find that sitting down and talking it through can help you solidify your strategy.
Steve Innis, SRES
1020 Prospect Street #250
La Jolla, Ca 92037
858 922 2410