General Area in Golden Hill>Question Details

Ozziegal, Home Buyer in 92118

What is the area of golden hill san diego near 22nd/24th near the freeways like?

Asked by Ozziegal, 92118 Thu Jan 20, 2011

When I drove around that part of golden hills it looked a bit dodgy with many homeless people etc. What do you make of the area? Would it be safe to live there with 2 little kids? And what do you think about the future of Golden HIll, it seems like it is a up and coming neighbourhood, is this true for this pocket as well.

Also, what are the cons of living near a freeway other than the noise?

Answers

9
Robert Chomentowski’s answer
In addition to the freeway noise, keep an ear out for the jet noise. That area can get some heavy jet fly over noise from Lindbergh Field. What boundaries are you considering Golden Hill? I'm not sure if North of highway 94 is considered South Park or Golden Hill. South Park has seen more trendy restaurants and fixed up historic homes. I personally really like the area North of hwy 94 (I think that's South Park?). To me the main downside is the jet flyover noise.
Golden Hills is an older San Diego Neighborhood that has had it's ups and downs. At one time many of the more prominent families in San Diego lived there. Over the last several years there has been renewed interest in the area.There are lots of older classic homes in the neighborhood. Obviously the location near the park and easy access to downtown and other amenities make it an attractive area.
I would check the Megan Law Website http://www.meganslaws.ca.gov to see if any sex offenders live in the area. I recommend this to all of my clients with young children regardless of the area.
You can also check the crime stats at http://www.sandiego.gov/police/stats if you have concerns about crime. Many of my clients use this if they have any concerns.
Living near a freeway is convenient but as you mentioned the trade off is increased noise. Depending on the particular street you live on there may be increased traffic, especially during the commute times.
I'm new to the area and I like its proximity to downtown and the freeways. I hop on the 5 then the 163 and I'm in the office in 15 minutes in north county San Diego. Yeah, it looks a little sketchy but great spacious houses/apartments, and the police department is a few blocks away.

Hope this helps.
I have lived in Golden Hill since 2005. I live on Broadway between 24 & 25th. I moved there with my then 8 year old and 13 year old sons. I've never not felt safe. I walk the neighborhood all of the time, including in the evenings. I've even (on more than one occassion) walked home in the wee hours from the Turf Club. Unless you really live here most of the stuff other people are saying is hit or miss. Yeah, you get some homeless and you get some other folks that aren't 9-5 types...but you either love diversity or you don't. That's what makes Golden Hill so great. It's got everything from the hipsters, to the artsy types to low income hispanic and everything in between. I love Golden Hill! p.s. there is a Golden Hill Street fair on 7/22 on 25th between B & C. Check it out...it will fairly represetative of the neighborhood!
I have lived in Golden Hills from ' 96-98 and found it to be very close to downtown. I also could walk to the golf course. But like any area just outside a major city, it can be a bit high in terms of crime.

Lora O'Neill
Remax Assocs.
Myles Weisman & Assocs.
There is an interesting article about the 25th street area in Golden Hill in the Uptown News. This is a good newspaper to keep informed on the local happenings and news in this area.

Jerry Heard
619-920-9796
Web Reference: http://sduptownnews.com
Hi Ozzie,

You have received a lot of good advice regarding your question. Please know that this one of the most difficult questions to answer, even for seasoned professionals in the real estate industry. The true answer is based upon a combination of your needs and wants and how those stack up against one another. Here are some of the key criteria when we work with home buyers:

1. Talk with a few national lenders (Wells Fargo, Chase, B of A, etc) to find out what you can afford
2. What kind of property do you want? Single family, town house or condominium. Each type of purchase can be different in terms of financing and the purchase.
3. What are your needs in terms of a school system? Age of your kids, transportation, etc.
4. How close do you want to be to your employment?
5. What kinds of shopping do you need and how close do you want it to be? Grocery, clothing, specialty stores, etc.
6. What kinds of activities are your kids involved in? Sports, dance, music, etc.
7. What kinds of activities do you like? Sports, theater, music, movies, etc.
8. What kind of neighborhood do you want? Subdivision, rural, etc.
9. What kind of area & climate do you want? Coastal, Mountain or desert?
10. What do you consider safe? Street traffic, crime, etc.

We feel that once you have considered these questions, the answer will come to you.

Best to you,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Greater San Diego
Golden Hills is far from a pocket. You will learn that it is a vibrant community in and of itself. It certainly has character and charm as it is one of the older neighborhoods in San Diego.

Lets sit down and go over your wants, needs and goals. You will find that sitting down and talking it through can help you solidify your strategy.

Steve Innis, SRES
Broker-Owner
Innis Realtors
1020 Prospect Street #250
La Jolla, Ca 92037
858 922 2410
In the Immediate future, I would say Golden Hill is not the safest. but you are right over the next 10 Golden Hill will look quite different. If I was looking to be close to downtown San Diego, I would look in South Park, & Mission Hills.
Safest compared to what? You live in Carlsbad...what do you know? I live in GH and I do know.
Flag Mon Jul 9, 2012