Lawandorder, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

What is it like to live in Crown Heights Brooklyn?

Asked by Lawandorder, New York, NY Sat May 5, 2007

Answers

3
Jim Winters’ answer
Hi Lawandorder,

I live in Crown Heights with my wife, my son, and our two dogs. We are very happy here and feel safe. The architecture is stunning, transportation is great and we love our neighbors, most of whom own their homes. However we are lacking in the amenities department and could use a good restaurant or coffee shop.

Hope this helped,

Jim
Web Reference: http://www.fromthestoop.com
While Brooklyn's Crown Heights used to be infamous for its high poverty and crime rates, the neighborhood is experiencing a much-deserved revival thanks to its lovely architecture and incredible cultural attractions like the Brooklyn Children's Museum, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, the Brooklyn Museum and the northeastern edge of Prospect Park.
I lived in Crown Heights for a few months last summer. There are some nice places in the area and there are some not so nice places. The neighborhood hasn't gone through any massive renovations yet. Now would be the best time to get a property in the area. Many of the landlords are evicting tenants to renovate buildings. Once this is done, maybe in 3-4 years, the neighborhood is going to be similar to how Bed-Stuy is now. The only difference I noticed is Bed Stuy seems to have some of that old Brooklyn flare. Crown Heights doesn't have that, most of the people who have been there for a while live rent stabalized apartments and not brownstones like they do in Bed Stuy.