General Area in Brooklyn>Question Details

Alison Hillm…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What is it like to grow up in Brooklyn?

Asked by Alison Hillman, San Francisco, CA Thu Feb 7, 2013

Mitchell Feldman’s answer
Dear Alison:

Just like what you see in the movies, especially the ones that date back to the 70's. There is never a dull moment and everything goes fast fast fast. Brooklyn has more character than any other place and so do the people who live in the borough. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere and like they say, only the strong survive, and I mean that in a good way.

I am born, bred and raised in Brooklyn, a product of the public school system in Brooklyn and I currently work and live in Brooklyn. There ain't no place like Brooklyn! The borough is so diverse you can spend a lifetime taking it all in. This is why Brooklyn has one of the best real estate markets in the country as well.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 7, 2013
Hello Allison,

I was a street kid growing up in Brooklyn. It was much more violent and dirty, but very colorful. Cops use to stay in groups of 25 in Coney Island because the gangs would mug them for thier guns. In the summer intravenous needles use to was up on the beach. We made fun of it by the beach shops selling inflatable needles instad of beach balls. Alot of my friends moved away, but I stayed.

Years later it has become safer, cleaner and more colorful than it has ever been. You can walk on Coney Island boardwalk at 2AM and be safe. Even the beaches are cleaner and more people go out and do things then when I was a kid. If someone tells you Brooklyn is dirty and dangerous they are wrong: It's better than it's ever been.

Now all my friends that moved away want to come back but can't... It's too expensive. They should have held on to those houses and stayed like I did. They would have made alot of money.

Luke Constantino
(212) 300-3919
261 4th Avenuue, Brooklyn NY 11215
What a great story- thanks for sharing!
Flag Fri Feb 8, 2013