General Area in Newtown>Question Details

Explodes, Both Buyer and Seller in 22312

What is a reasonable expectation for an average electric and gas bill for a 3000 sq ft newer home in the area?

Asked by Explodes, 22312 Sun Aug 9, 2009

Need help estimating the approximate utilities costs for a 3000 sq foot home that was built approx 10 years ago.

Answers

3
explodes,
budget 550 monthly
JenBuschel@gmail.com
Advantage Real Estate Associates
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 9, 2009
I can't say as to gas. Certainly you can and should ask for copies of the last 6 months. They can EASILY get them from PECO if they tossed them out. But they SURE have the canceled checks to PECO too, right?

For electric, I think PECO is pretty reasonable. I pay about $50 a month when not running ACs. But ... I also have replaced almost EVERY bulb in the house with compact florescent bulbs. But I've also got an electric water heater and electric dryer too. So I think I'm doing pretty well!

What will really hit you in the newer homes is the summer AC bill since your roof will get baked. BUT - you can really help that by installing a Radiant Barrier. This will cost you about $300 to do yourself and pay for itself in the very first year. Your home will also FEEL much more comfortable in the summer.

If you are buying a resale, you can request the previous owners to give you the information. It varies depending on number of people living in the house, whether you adjust temperature at night and the insulation you have,
It can also depend on whether someone is home during the day or not.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com