General Area in Doylestown>Question Details

Ellen, Both Buyer and Seller in New Jersey

What is Doylestown, PA like? I saw some crime data that seemed higher that suburbs in NJ. Any idea why?

Asked by Ellen, New Jersey Thu Oct 4, 2007

One of the online data services showed crime data for this area as more than twice that of the towns in the Princeton area. A good friend is hoping to move there and I'd like to know more about the area, its population and safety. Thanks!

Answers

16
I would have to agree with the other two posters. While I have never lived in Doylestown, I have lived near it and often visit to hit the shops, restaurants and bars - great place, and I am not sure what crimes made up the stats you mention, but it is by no means a seedy or risky place. I feel completely safe walking around with my family (including my 6 y.o. daughter) at all times.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 5, 2007
I live just outside of Doylestown and I find it hard to believe that there are statistics saying that the crime rate is higher than towns near Princeton, NJ.
I used to live near Princeton, and I would compare Doylestown to a town like Hopewell or Ringoes (towns North or West of Princeton) -

http://www.doylestownborough.net/ Official website of Doylestown Borough
http://www.doylestownpa.org/ Official website of Doylestown Township
http://doylestownalive.com/security/crimestats.cfm This is a website with crime statistics figures taken from the U.S. Department of Justice - Bureau of Justice Statistics website
Web Reference: http://www.cityservice.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 4, 2007
Terrific town! Have lived in a nearby town for 20 years and love to go into Doylestown to shop, eat, and go to museums. If you're thinking of moving to Doylestown, be aware, just as you would anywhere, that there is a EPA Superfund site in town where industrial waste was stored for years. You can look it up online to see where they are in their cleanup efforts. It's called Chem-Fab Superfund site. There are plenty of areas of town not affected by this site, but it's good to be aware.
Doylestown is a wonderful place to live! We purchased our home in Doylestown Boro nearly 23 years ago and have watched a beautiful transformation. World class Michner Museum, historic and cultural sites like the Mercer Museum, the Moravian Tile Works, and Fonthill and we are the County Seat. Cutting edge films in the restored 1950's County Theater. Historic homes, a wonderful YMCA, festivals, exhibits, GREAT RESTAURANTS, several live music venues, all in town in this charming, safe small community.
Yes, Doylestown is rated as one of the best places to live in the USA!! Really.
Doylestown is a fantastic place to live, work, shop and play......
Hi Ellen,

Your friend may wish to consider a few nearby towns to Doylestown. Not because of crime - but other factors. Doylestown has a 1% earned income tax. Other nearby towns that are also very nice do not - Yardley, Lower Makefield, Langhorne, Trevose. And these also have great schools.

So on one hand - your friend is likely dropping from NJ Income tax 6.37 to PA 3.03 - but avoiding the extra 1% that some towns have is perhaps worth thinking about.

J.
Crime stats can't be just looked at on the surface. One has to take into account population, demographics, etc. I suggest your friend come out and see the area...graffitti, age of cars, shops, litter...these will give a good idea of what to expect in the area.
Web Reference: http://www.askthebigguy.com
The crime data is true, and it shows
freedom of the press
that it is posted. Why? you ask:
>Basically, Doylestown has had an attitude
of "It doesn't happen here."
>The police department
in the borough seems too-cozy with landlords.
>Crimes that happen, such as upon residents
of properties in 18901,
don't necessarily-get reported.
> Long-term owners of rentals
may be accustomed-to a wee bit of graft.
>Doylestown has too many lawyers--
and the attorneys row:
knows how-to set the spin.
Doylestown has a magnificent small town feel and is very safe. For detailed crime statistics visit my website at http://www.SeacrhBucksMont.com. Don't miss the opportunity to review the County Seat of Historic Bucks County. Doylestown won't disappoint!!!
I lived in the Philly area for a few years. Doylestown is ADORABLE! I don't get the crime reports #'s.
Sandy Souilliard
I live in Doylestown PA and love it. I am a middle aged woman, who is not afraid to walk at 9:00 at night alone. It is very safe and comfortable. A year ago we had a lot of juvenile crime in the Borough, but the community worked with the police to curtail most of it. It is a very, very safe and nice place to live. Lots of culture and finese. It is also very family friendly...lots of activities for children.
Index crimes contain the following:
-Violent crimes: Murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault, and
-Property Crimes: burglary, larceny, and motor vehicle theft

I am willing to bet that the majority of the crimes are larceny (like kids stealing things). Remember the BJS is per 100,000 to give the populations sort of a level playing field.

Now... lets look at the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) 2006... These are actual incidents reported. They are required to report.

Doylestown:
Population- 8232
Violent crime- 19
Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter- 0
Forcible rape- 1
Robbery- 2
Aggravated assault- 16
Property crime- 253
Burglary- 30
Larceny-theft- 213
Motor vehicle theft- 10
Arson- 0

Doylestown TWP:
Population- 18,812
Violent crime- 18
Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter- 0
Forcible rape- 2
Robbery - 4
Aggravated assault- 12
Property crime- 238
Burglary- 44
Larceny-theft- 187
Motor vehicle theft- 7
Arson- 2

Violent crimes in both areas are LOW.
Hi, I live in Edison, which is basically south Doylestown. Great place. My wife and I rent (if we could afford to buy in D-town we would but...) Great place, always a-buzz on weekends. Really, I don't know why those crime figures are high! We're out on weekends, late, and I'm never worried.
Web Reference: http://www.gamessecond.com
I live about 20 mins north of doylestown, but pass through there everyday. It would not be my place to live. But it is a "nice" town. Tons of people and lots of traffic. Hard to believe there even is a crime rate!!
I work just outside of Doylestown and have friends and coworkers who live in the area. It's absolutely gorgeous and a safe, amazing, friendly town. Really "the" place to live in the area if you can afford it - lots to do and close to everything. There are alot of people in the area, perhaps the data just reflects the concentration of people? Your friend will have no worries...
Doylestown is the county seat and home of the court house. Maybe that is why the data is so complete. It is a great town. I lived there for a while. Great school district.