General Area in San Rafael>Question Details

Heather Fern…, Home Owner in San Francisco, CA

What happens to San Franciscans that move to San Rafael?

Asked by Heather Fernandez, San Francisco, CA Sun Mar 14, 2010

I imagine there is some kind of therapy group? We are feeling a bit beat up by the San Francisco real estate market and are considering cheating. Any words of advice?

Answers

12
While there have been few scientific studies on the effects of a move to Marin, anecdotal evidence shows that just after the move your blood pressure goes down, and you find yourself wearing sandals a lot more. You also seem to go on hikes and bike rides a lot more, and some people find themselves eating more granola, petting more dogs, and spending less time in the car looking for a parking space. But again, this is not a scientific study.
Web Reference: http://www.keyserhomes.com
You get so relaxed that you buy a bunch of colored chalk and enter the San Rafael Italian Street Painting competition. you win! Then there's no going back. maryann
I believe your hair turns green...but a small price to pay to get "away from it all"

K
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 14, 2010
Ask my clients that closed their first home! With rent in San Francisco for a nice home or apartment, with parking they were paying $3800 a month! Well with that much going out monthly they were thrilled at buying a nice home in San Rafael for $585,000! With all the credits as well.
Happy yes, therapy? Not yet.. One still commutes to SF and the other relocated to San Rafael and rides his bike to work. A winner deal.
We used to be the biggest San Francisco snobs you've ever met. We thought it would be impossible to live anywhere else. When we started looking at what 1 million dollars would buy there, we were horrified. So we lined up some houses to see in Marin, specifically San Rafael. We walked into the second house on the list and IT WAS OVER! That was 6 years ago and we never looked back.!

We have SUN, and you can grow tomatoes in your yard. Our downtown is quaint and clean. Our streets don't smell like pee. You don't pass thugs when you enter your bank, and you don't have D.P.T. trying to suck the life out of you. There weather is fabulous and a whopping 75% of Marin is protected open space for hiking and biking. You may find deer standing in your driveway, but if you find a skunk or raccoon, the County will come and remove it for FREE because the service is included in your taxes! AND if you have children, Marin has the highly coveted- award-winning public schools. No more private school tuition!

Now we flip a coin to see who has to go to The City. Marin County is Heaven 12 minutes from S.F.

I am also a Realtor. You can call me anytime with your questions. 246-8611,
Lorraine Gemigniani
We were once the biggest San Francisco snobs you ever met and thought that we could never live anywhere else until we moved to San Rafael. Now we fight over who has to go into The City. We usually flip a coin to see who has to make the drive, fight off the DPT, fight the traffic, deal with the sidewalks that smell like pee, step over the "homeless" and circle for hours trying to find a parking place. No thank you. I love San Rafael.
Well besides the peacock feathers and hot tubs...you have China Camp hicking and biking trails, McNear's beach with the newly finished fishing pier. In the summer the weather FEELS like summer unlike the City....and so much more!
That is exactly what I did in 1995.. I put on my down jacket and drove from SF to San Rafael. As soon as I cleared the tunnel into marin the sun was shining and I felt warm and new I was heading to something really great!
Buying in San Rafael was super, and I would suggest the Gerstle Park area. Great neighbors, a cute park , lots of sun!
Web Reference: http://www.marinsmyhome.com
I made the move myself a number of years ago and although I love visitng the city, I don't miss it.

Keep in mind that the market in San Rafael is still very active. Many come thinking that this is the 'burbs and there are deals to be found everywhere here, but that's not the case. There are so many reasons that make Marin real estate continue to stay very hot:
weather, schools, proximity to SF and culture, and on and on.

Do you have children? Be sure to ask your real estate agent about different schools. Some parts of SR real estate have taken a bigger beating due to schools, so keep that in mind.

If you don't have a Marin agent yet, I'd be happy to help you. (sounds like you may be in the business yoruself, or at least by working for Trulia!). I actually help teach classess to Marin agents about using the internet and social media.

Liz McCarthy
http://www.BayAreaRealEstateSales.com
415-250-4929
Click on the link below to search for homes in Marin using CleanOffer.com
You will fall in love here and never look back :) You can always go back to visit, but once you're here, you'll be sooooo happy. Everything you could ever need or want is at your disposal in beautiful Marin.

Let me know if I can be of service to you.
Web Reference: http://www.LoriHarvey.com
Cute question Heather...

Better weather, more space, less crime? Sounds like a good move to me. I suppose you could move and not tell anyone. :-)

Good luck with your search. Leslie
Wouldn't being out of Nancy Pelosi's congressional district be a source of pride. I'd be ashamed to have her as my representative. Isn't that all the therapy you would need?