General Area in 80249>Question Details

Yaki, Home Buyer in Denver County, CO

What does "Off Market" status mean....?

Asked by Yaki, Denver County, CO Sun Mar 18, 2012

I've seen several houses in the 80249 area that have a for sale sign in the yard but when I look up details on trulia they are listed as "off market". I've also seen several houses on the http://www.remax.com website but they don't have a 'for sale' sign in the yard and they are listed on the trulia.com website as 'off market'. What does this status mean?

Answers

12
This is exactly why buyers shouldn't rely on these sites because they don't necessarily have the most up to date listings. As others have said, you need to have a Buyer's Agent working for you, who can create a search in the local MLS, and send you only "Active" listings.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 19, 2012
Oh please, answer the question instead of trying to drum up business. The seller could have postponed the taking of offers, wants to correct some city inspection issues or reconsider a listing price.

The answer given is exactly why people view a lot of information from agents as suspect. You want everything shrouded in secrecy as if only the chosen few can get it. The fact is anyone can get the information with a phone call. Simply call the listing agent and ask them.

There is not much worse than someone asking a simple question and getting a sales pitch.
Flag Fri Oct 26, 2012
Yaki, I guess you generated a great many responses to your question. The most important take away I see from here is not just for you but for any potential buyer or seller is to find a local Realtor in the area they are searching. Then read the advice they give and the type of blog posts they provide, based on that you will find the best fit and that is key when buying or selling a home. I hope you will find that person. Good luck!.

Endre Barath,JR
Prudential California Realty
Beverly Hills CA
homes@endrebarath.com
310.486.1002
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Off market means that the property is off the market, that means that the property was listed in the past, now is not available. The best way to see if a property is available is to ask an agent with access to the MLS and check it out. Sometimes trulia, zillow etc, will also show the right status, since they feed their info from the MLS. I really do not like realtors that respond questions and use the response to "self market themselves". This website Q&A should be a way to help people without a second intention.
Thank you for an upfront answer. Simple and plain. Off market was what he wanted to know. May God bless you this year and your business.
Flag Sun Jan 26, 2014
Thank you for such an, at the point answer. I hope that the Lord will bless you in abundance this year.
Flag Sun Jan 26, 2014
Hi Yaki!

Off Market means that the house is currently not up for sale according to Trulia's data, collected from a variety of sources.

Currently we are spearheading an effort to make our data more accurate (see here: http://bit.ly/x6nOm8)

If you see an error on any Trulia listing, such as the house being up for sale despite being marked as "off-market" you can correct the data by clicking the "More" button on Trulia's listing and then "Report an Error"

I hope that helps. Do you have any further questions? If so, you can post a comment to my answer by clicking "Comment" (in blue) below, or you can email me directly at andrew@trulia.com

Thanks for your question Yaki!

Andrew
Yes. One can correct errors such as this but Trulia doesn't respond. We've made corrections to our property numerous times without any changes and thus have given up!
Flag Sun Feb 23, 2014
A listing could be off the market for any number of reasons. The listing probably expired or was withdrawn for some reason. Real Estate sites are not always up to date on the status of homes for sale. An agent will be able to provide you listings that are currently on the market. Good luck on your home purchase.
All good answers here.
Best solution is to hire a buyer's agent to do the leg work for you. They help you week out the properties on your short list, find out exactly why a property might be showing up in Trulia as off market and help you locate other properties that might not be so readily apparent in these websites. They can also be a very valuable resource in determining value, so that you can be sure the property you choose is price at or below market.
Hopefully all of this information is valuable as you search for a new home.
Best of luck.
Chuck Strauss
Your Castle Real Estate
720-318-7598
denverhomeguru@gmail.com
Homes for sale are listed in the MLS which then sends feeds to other websites. Sometimes the data is not always accurate or timely. In the MLS, this is how a home can appear.
Active - available for showings
Pending - offer on it but not accepted by the bank or not all the paperwork is signed
Undercontract - has an offer signed by both parties
Sold - an offer went through and it sold
Expired - the listing agent's agreement with the seller hit the expiration date
Withdrawn - the seller took their home off the market

My guess is that these homes are either expired or withdrawn from the market or could have sold and are showing up as "off market" in Trulia. Feel free to send me an email with specific addresses and I would be happy to pull off information from the MLS for you.

Nina Kuhl
Cherry Creek Properties, LLC
c: 303-913-5858
e: kuhlnina@yahoo.com

I saw your question about "off market" properties. Normally, this is a term in MLS which means the home has been 'withdrawn'. This can be either permanently or temporarily. If temporary it could be for further remodeling, illness, further legal action needing resolved or other reasons. Also it could mean the seller changed their minds about selling. The listing broker would know why and if it will be coming back on the market soon or at all. I would be glad to check that out for you if necessary.

Some listings on the MLS are active and appearing on the website; but the seller has requested that no sign be put in the yard. It is not a good idea and usually against the wisdom and advice of the listing broker. One reason is that they don't want to be conspicuous and alert the neighbors. They may not want a lot of questions from the neighbors. Also often when it is a 'short sale' or other distressed situation it could be a little embarrassing. I work the Green Valle Ranch area as one of my primary communitites. I also lived ther from 2001-2008 in Bradford Village. Let me know how I can help. We are here for your real estate needs.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Direct – 303-669-1246
http://rmcguire.yourcastle.org
Off the market could mean the property was withdrawn, could have expired, could be in contract, or sold; therefore for an actau status and any other necessary information, contact any local agent/realty office, they all have access to the same information. If looking to purchase in the near future, for accurate information consider working with an agent of your own.
Hi Yaki:
There are several reasons a home may be "off market", the most common of which is that the home is under contract. Once in a while a seller may pull a home off the market in order to make repairs or updates and put the home back on the market. And sometimes the seller decides to pull the home off the market due to inactivity.

If there is no sign in the yard, it could be that home has sold but the website has not been updated, or in some cases, an HOA may prohibit signage. There are also sellers who do not wish to have a sign placed in the yard.

Long story short, there can be many answers for your questions, but hopefully this is helpful. If I can answer any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Serena Billmayer
Your Castle Real Estate
303-956-7940
Serena@YourCastle.org
This means that the property has been taken off the market, and it may be temporary or permanent. A property might be taken off the market if the owners decide not to sell, or if they decide to make some upgrades before selling and are not currently accepting showings. My neighbors took their home off the market last September because they wanted to wait until springtime to sell, and their house is now on the market again. Normally if the property is under contract, the MLS will show "Under Contract" rather than "off the market". If a house you're interested in is "off the market" and has a real estate agent, you can call the agent to find out if it will be for sale again, and when.
Unfortunately it is a frustrating reality. Honestly, sometimes a house will have sign in the yard and may show a status of being off the market because the seller has had a family emergency or it could be that the agent hasn't picked their sign up from the yard yet. Sometimes this is used as a tactic to try an refresh a stale listing. The only way you have chance of finding out what case could be is taking a chance at contacting the seller agent. However, if thet have an agency relationship with the seller they may not tell you the seller's motivation. However, if you have a great buyer's agent working in your best interest, they can do some creative research to gain information. If you need assistance, let me know.