General Area in New Orleans>Question Details

Frank, Home Buyer in 72205

What does New Marigny mean? Is this considered to be a safe neighborhood? Was this area under water?

Asked by Frank, 72205 Mon Feb 25, 2008

Answers

13
You,too,David. You guys know your city!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 26, 2009
Frank - You are lucky the old guard does not visit this site or you would have a lot more posts than these. According to them there is no New Marigny. The Faugborg Marigny was established by history - how the large plantations were divided. Marigny proper is the triangle of Esplanade -St Claude and Elysian Fields. The remaining part of the Marigny extends from Elysian Fields to Frankllin when you enter Bywater. The "new marigny" is generaly used when talking about the area above St Claude from Elysian Fields to the St. Roch area or Franklin street.

A more offical meaning.... The City Planning Commission defines the boundaries of the Marigny as these streets: North Rampart Street, St. Claude Avenue, Franklin Avenue, the Mississippi River and Esplanade Avenue.[3]

The area further back from Rampart/St. Claude to Claiborne Avenue is sometimes called "New Marigny", the name dating back to the early 19th century. The lower boundary, with the Bywater neighborhood, is either Press Street (a traditional boundary that is along the railroad tracks) or Franklin Avenue (the upper boundary of the city's 9th Ward).

As I would tell any Buyer.... STUDY any area before buying.

You can also check out the Marigny website http://www.faubourgmarigny.org/
Web Reference: http://www.jdavidryan.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 26, 2009
"New" Marigny is not a term I've heard. But I do know the Marigny, as it was the place where I had my first apartment after moving here 20 years ago.

Before Katrina, there WERE safety issues in that area. However, the crime was related to neighborhoods adjoining the Marigny, which were slums--no way to sweeten up that fact. Since Katrina, everything is different. Neighborhoods I wouldn't have felt safe driving through in the past are revitalizing. The Times Picayune [nola.com] has a lot of archival material regarding the flood and Katrina. The paper also lists crime stats. I would start my research there. Another way is to simply ask neighbors in the area. Drop a note in some mailboxes and leave your email address. New Orleanians are the best people. You'll get good, honest responses. If an area is gentrifying, it is in the best interest of the homeowners there to have houses on their block sold as residences. The tighter a community is, the safer it is.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 26, 2009
I would question someone's answer if they do not live and work in the area in question.

The facts remain...this specific area is undergoing dramatic change...block by block. Nobody living in Texas can make a judgement call on a city that is bringing in new people and money never seen since the days of the pirates.

Now that the pirates that arrived after the storm known as "storm chasers" have left and gone back to other parts of the country, a new breed of professionals have moved into neighbourhoods such as the New Marigny...changing, creating art, and bringing back a sense of community that does not exist in surburbia America.

If safety in SUV's floats your boat, maybe Abilene is for you. If you wish to live amongst a real community, try a new old city.
Web Reference: http://iansellsnola.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 12, 2008
Since I was born and raised in that area...I wouldn't advise it at all...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 9, 2008
New Marigny refers to an area that is being revitalized...alot of renovations going on bringing neighbourhoods back to quaint, historically correct architecture.

This area was never under water.

Email me if you want a breakdown of where and what floods, and what you are looking for.
Be very cautious of people that say, "such and such area never flooded for Katrina". Katrina was just one storm, and maybe irrelevant to the particular location.

Safe is all relative...it depends on where you are coming from and in which specific block you are living. Overall, crime is not as much as an issue as Pre-Katrina, and pretty much limited to very specific areas as with any other town with a wide diversity of people.
Web Reference: http://iansellsnola.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2008
http://www.prcno.org/neighborhoods/brochures/NewMarigny.pdf

Here is a link with all the details about the New Marigny, which was established as a historical district in New Orleans in 1994. Learn your history, folks.
Marigny was one of three Faubourgs set up in creole New Orleans around 1836. The division was done after creoles sought to prevent American attempts to get equitable city services, i.e. street lighting, paving, etc. The second was called St. Mary and the first included the Vieux Carre (old part). Marigny was successful in gaining control of its internal affairs...followed later by the others. Bernard Marigny was a Jacksonian Democrat from the area. Oh, I am a native New Orleanian transplanted by Hurricane Katrina....
Marigny was one of the six, I think, blocks, that New Orleans was divided into in the beginning....
Frank - also in afterthought do not get confused by "creative" marketing. When I am asked where I live I say "in THE Marigny". Some who lives in the location your are asking about would say (if they even refer to it that way), "I live in New Marigny" without the "the".

A lot of people get this confused in thinking that this area is the NEW Marigny ie a new and improved version Marigny Proper.
Thumbs up to you both,Ian & Ange!

Sure everything is relative, until crime strikes you personally. Watch "Menace to Society," then ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky"?