General Area in 95407>Question Details

Kevin, Real Estate Pro in San Jose, CA

What do you think about Courtside Village Park neighborhood in Santa Rosa?

Asked by Kevin, San Jose, CA Fri Nov 4, 2011

I plan to find a home in Courtside Village Park in Santa Rosa, closes to the corner of Billy Jean Street and Sebastopol Road. What do you think about that neighborhood? What do you think potential property value down/up compare to other areas in Santa Rosa? The Elsie Allen High School has lowest API score in Santa Rosa area; does it mean this area is considered bad area? Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Answers

3
Mike Kelly gave you some really good information - more in depth than I can offer, other than to confirm that, as Mike said, It can be very hard to get a loan there for a purchase in the condo units. What is it about that area that has appealed to you? There are lots fo nice areas and lots fo good buys in and around Santa Rosa that may offer what you want as well.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
We've had many a bank owned home in the Courtside Village area. The biggest problem with this project is the glaring, vacancies in the commercial district which is the "heart" of the complex. We sold two of the "live/work" units on Sebastopol road (duplex above, commercial below) and at that time the commercial district had something like a 90% vacancy factor!! So you have this "hole" right smack in the middle of the comunity. Also, some vacant lots are yet to be built out as per the master plan but I fear the "master plan" will NOT be completed due to the lack of building in general of new construction in the area and especially in the "Southwest" area of Santa Rosa.
As far as the neighborhoods I think they present a significant value in today's market. The "Condo's" which are in the north central portion of the property cannot qualify for "conventional" OR FHA as one entity owns many of the units and the ratio of investor's to homeowners is tipped TOO far to the investor. One of the complexes, it was rumored, was going to split off as it was owned by a large investor who didn't enjoy paying the HOA monthly dues. Also, the finances of the HOA have been disapproved by many of the offers we had on our listings whcih were all bank owned through BofA.
However the Single family dwellings on the south wide have a great community feel and remind me of the "French Quarter of New Orleans. Some of granny units and are great extended member family units. However, if homeowners are not dominant in a occupation position you may see signs of decline as renters just don't keep the property up as a homeowners. And some investors, strung out with multiple properties, may not keep the units in decent shape. A few caveats for you. Elsie Allen HS is a very diverse high school with many cultures represented in the student mix. Hence the reason for the test scores. However, it is a vital, dynamic school.
My peers reccomend the NE,SE schools of Santa Rosa. You can visit any number of school sites to get scores on the charter and public schools. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
Hi Huskers! Welcome to Santa Rosa! Like everything else, everything has its upsides and downsides. I suggest that you find a local agent here to sit down with you and show you some options and where some of the different school districts are. I would be happy to send you information by email and meet with you to discuss your plans and goals and how Santa Rosa can best fill those goals for you! Check out my website for more information! Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Creative Property Services, Santa Rosa. 707-292-5712