General Area in Taylor Run>Question Details

Rebecca, Home Buyer in Fairfax, VA

What can you tell me about the Glenmore and Taylor Run neighborhoods in Alexandria, VA?

Asked by Rebecca, Fairfax, VA Sun Nov 11, 2007

We are looking to buy here but have young children. We would like to know about the community, schools and general information about these neighborhoods.

Answers

4
Hi Rebecca. Glenmore is up behind the King Street metro and it's a super cute area, close to everything. And close to Old Town and the metro. The homes there, for the most part, are brick colonial bungalows, but up on the hill are more historic, Victorian style homes. The prices really vary there. I sold one of the homes on Hilton Street and my owners really enjoyed living there. Taylor Run has some nice homes as well. That entire area is a good walking area, has nice parks, and is close to everything you would want for convenience. I show homes in both of those areas a lot and my office is not far from there, so I know that you would probably like it. There are two elementary schools in that area, so you have to watch the boundary to get the specific school. If you would like more info on those areas or the schools, crime rates, etc. I would be happy to forward you the sources that I provide to clients interested in purchasing a home here in Alexandria, Virginia.
delaine@delainesoldtown.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
Great neighborhood. MacArthur elem school has excellent reputation. Very nice for walking around; close to everything.
I am not an agent so I can answer this question for you. I think it is a very nice area to live. My definition of nice is: I can leave my car unlocked for a few hours and expect it to be there, I don't need bars on my windows, I would let my wife/mom/sister walk to the nearest metro station after dark, your neighbors know your name and probably have a beer or coffee with you. There are many single family homes that are detached, not townhomes like the rest of eastern Alexandria. It is sandwiched between King St and Duke St, so traffic will be bad during the rush hours, (about 6am to 9am and 3 pm to 7pm). I live in Old Town so I am familliar with the area. I would say the worst thing about the area is the traffic, and the further west you go in Alexandria, the less "nice" it becomes. I hope that helped.
Real estate agents aren't supposed to answer broad questions like that. The response is: Please do your own research on the schools and the community. And, in fact, there's a lot of information online. But, without being specific, there are a lot of good features to both. If you work in Alexandria or D.C. (or even do a reverse commute out a ways), they're convenient. There's some nice shopping and restaurants in Old Town. And when I've driven past the area (I work in Alexandria, but on the end near National Airport) I've enjoyed the view, the neighborhood feel of part of those areas. But, again, there's a lot of information online. The other thing to do is to "walk the area." Talk to some neighbors. Or visit the neighborhoods at different times--say, for instance, 10 pm on a Friday or Saturday night. I'm a Realtor in Northern Virginia; please contact me if you need further assistance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2007
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA