General Area in Foster City>Question Details

angiechang, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What areas of the greater San Francisco Bay Area will not be underwater in 10-50 years?

Asked by angiechang, San Francisco, CA Mon Sep 15, 2008

Let's just say they're right and the water level will rise. What cities or areas of cities are safe and good investments? For example, I was looking at Foster City but I think that area will be doomed if another big piece of ice breaks off somewhere and melts.

I like the safety and cleanliness of Foster City -- am looking for a house for my aging parents. But I'm worried that buying a house in Foster City will not be a wise long term investment.

Answers

8
Do NOT listen to a real estate agent when it comes to global warming. No bay area realtor will admit to themselves what is about to happen to Newark, Foster City, etc. But I'll be you they will not be buying in those areas except as a short term investment.
Dear Angie,

the best way to answer your question is at the time of choosing an area and a property the seller will provide to you a Geological report prepared by specialized companies, in the Gealogical report it will tell you if the property is located in a earthquacke fault zone, a flood area zone, forest fire zone, etc. Meanwhile if you are still not satisfied with the report you can always call the companie who issued the report to have a better understanding about the geological location of the property you are trying to purchase. Also a simple rule of thumb is hight, the higher you are located geographically the more chance you have not to find your property under water, But than again I am not god and do not know how bad the next big one will affect the geographical state of California. There are stipulations that were mentionend in the past that at the time of the big one that San Fransco and all the areas located near the water will go under, that Los Angeles will become an Island and I do not know how much of LA will be submerged. Still poeple knowing those info are buying in Foster City or Redwood Shores, Etc.. simply because all the positive amenities that those communities are offering including resale value. If you are really concerned with this flooding situation. You really need to look at properties located on the hills build on Bed Rocks.
I am myself a Foster City resident/realtor for the past 19 years and was already there at the time of the 1989 hearthquacke and as you know there was no major structural damages reported at the time. I hope this will help you.
If you are still looking to buy in the mid Peninsula, do not hesitate to call me at your convenience or simply shoot me an email.
Talk to you soon.

Zoey tolu
Century 21 Realty Alliance
San Mateo, Ca 94402
Cell 650-619-3379
email zoeytolu@hotmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 12, 2008
Foster City would actually be one of the safest places in terms of the sea rising. It is a man-made and man-controlled situation. The lagoons are Bay water controlled by pumps. When the level gets too high, the water is simply pumped back to the Bay.
Web Reference: http://www.lauracaplan.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 27, 2008
The areas west of El Camino should be safe but you never know. San Carlos, Belmont, parts of San Mateo, and parts of Redwood City would all be sound investments for you and your parents in the future. None of us can predict the future so good luck!
Angiechang,

The San Ramon Area is a very nice Community to live in. It is definitely a good investment area to buy. They are building all over San Ramon, and you don't have to worry about the rising tide. Your dollar goes future too. A lot newer home too. You should check it out.

Let me know if you need assistance.

Jerry Flynn
Old West Realty Inc.
Danville, Ca.
925-820-6550
oldwestinc@yahoo.com
http://housebiz.ca
Wow what a great question and website linked below that shows the answer!!! Just a 1 meter rise (which is expected by US scientists in less than 100 years), will wipe out Foster City and most of the peninsula east of El Camino from Redwood City to the SFO Airport.

updated 3:28 p.m. PT, Thurs., Sept. 4, 2008
WASHINGTON - Worldwide sea levels may rise by about 2.6 to 6.6 feet by 2100 thanks to global warming, but dire predictions of larger increases seem unrealistic, U.S. scientists said on Thursday.
Reuters.com
I've actually been asked this question before. To be honest, I think the next big quake is going to get you way before the rising seas drown you.
But if you really must know, check out this site;
http://flood.firetree.net/
It will give you a meter by meter look at what anywhere in the world will look like if sea levels rise.

Good Luck
What happens if a meteor hits us tomorrow, a month or year from now. Its good to plan for tomorrow, but you still need to thrive today.

2012 is right around the corner.... some say its "lights out"