General Area in Dallas>Question Details

Paulina, Both Buyer and Seller in 89138

What areas near Dallas are similar to Highland Park or University Park but not as pricey?

Asked by Paulina, 89138 Mon Jun 2, 2008

We are looking to spend no more than $400,000-500,000 for approximately 2400 sq ft. or more in an established neighborhood with mature landscaping. We would like an area that is family friendly and possibly one that is walking distance to restaurants/shops.

Answers

10
Hi Paulina,
An area to strongly consider is in the Northwest Dallas corridor. There are fabulous homes in this location and can find a wonderful home that's totally updated in the price range you're looking in. Homes in this area were built between the 1950's to 1970's. They are mostly the one story ranch style and are surrounded with beatiful and mature landscaping. Depending on where you are in this area, you can find some restaurants or shops that are in walking distance, or at minimum, would be in driving a couple of minutes driving time. This area is very family friendly and welcoming. I have lived in this area for over 20 years and can attest to what a great area. Another great feature that has become more important lately is it's proximity to everything. With gas prices continuing to increase, this area has great access to all modes of transportation, it's within 15 to 20 minutes of downtown, shopping and the entertainment areas, plus close to the major airports. This area is in the heart of a wide variety of school selections that include many private schools and some very good public schools.

I'd be happy to show you this fabulous area!

Barbara Stone, Realtor
bstonevp@msn.com
214-228-5465
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 7, 2008
Hi Paulina,

Preston Hollow is going to be the most like HP/UP but not quite as pricey. The neighborhoods are very established and has mature landscaping. They're very family friendly and there's not a lot of turnover there. I have some friends who live there and their children have grown up their entire lives in that house and are getting married in it and have friends on the street just like them. People are very happy there.

The "M" Streets area is also a very nice area that you would be very happy with and is very close to some of the best shopping in Dallas - Snyder Plaza! It has Prada, Chanel and Starbuck's and the movies all in one place. In the winter time, they have horse drawn carriage rides to go see Christmas lights from there. It's so much fun!

Let me know if we can help in your home search process.

Terri Hayley
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2008
Two great possibilities! First would be Kessler Park in Oak Cliff. It is one of the most beautiful places in Dallas. Second choice would be the White Rock Lake area. This would include Lakewood, Forest Hills, and Lake Highlands. Either of these choices provide plenty of housing choices in the price & size range that you're looking for. These are established neighborhoods with towering trees & mature landscaping.

Kessler Park, in Oak Cliff, actually has hills! We don't have many of those in the Dallas area, but Kessler Park has plenty. Kessler Park has began to emerge as one of the ideal places to live.

White Rock Lake is a definite jewel in Dallas' crown. Activities abound at the lake & park areas. You can run, walk, skate, ride, picnic, walk the dog, sail, fish, canoe, kayak, people-watch, feed the ducks, or just take a nap. Weekends, you can even chat with the "free advice guys" and get your life in order.

All of these areas offer housing that would fit your needs. Please feel free to contact me with any questions that might come up.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 2, 2008
Hi Paulina. You may want to consider the Rockwall/Heath area. Rockwall is approximately 22 miles (or 25 minutes) east of downtown Dallas on Interstate 30 with a population of just over 25,000. Rockwall has an advantage of being near the Dallas Metroplex without losing its rural atmosphere, while maintaining one of the highest-ranking school systems and one of the lowest tax rates within the State of Texas.

Rockwall has the distinction of being the smallest county in Texas but one of the fastest growing counties in the United States. http://(www.Rockwall.com) There are four marinas, three public boat ramps, and a yacht club famous for sailing regattas. Plus you'll enjoy plenty of shopping, restaurants, and activities for kids of all ages. http://(www.riserockwall.com).

The school district is highly requested by many home buyers. It has 16 campuses, with 25% of them ranked Exemplary and almost 50% ranked Recognized according to the 2007 TEA Accountability ratings. You may want to review their 2007 accountability ratings at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/2007/districtl… .

I've taken the liberty of pulling a few samples of what is available in the area. If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

http://ntreislistings.marketlinx.com/SearchDetail/Scripts/Pr…

Best Wishes
Cindy Dunnican
Web Reference: http://www.mynewhomenow.com
The area most similar to the Park Cities would be Preston Hollow area. It is north of Northwest Highway and south of LBJ, west of 75 and east of Midway. The problem with this area is that while it is family friendly, most people send their children to private schools.
Another great area south of LBJ is the area west of Midway. The prices are much more reasonable and I believe it to be a great place to invest in because of the great location.
Consider Prestonwood area also. The schools are good. The homes are mostly late 70's and 80's. Mature trees and family oriented.
Another area is Lake Highlands. Homes in this area area similar to Prestonwood. Lake Highlands is in the Richardson school district which has always been highly rated. I have lived in Lake Highlands for many years and it is very family oriented.
If you do not mind going north, Plano has the best schools and more reasonable prices.
I recommmend Greenway Crest and Shannon Estates and and walk to Inwood Village, Highland Park Village. I live in this area and LOVE it and I have walked also to Snider Plaza (30 minutes) and I have even walked to Knox/Henderson from here also (about 50 minutes-1 hour). Another area may be Forest Hills..walk to White Rock and Casa Linda. Please call me or visit my website..this is my neck of the woods! Kathy
Web Reference: http://www.HouseHuntDFW.com
I dont know if you have considered areas outside the city of Dallas, but there are many great areas such as Allen, Plano, Frisco, Keller, Grapevine etc...that are considered suburbs of Dallas and offer great product in that price range as well as great family activities and great schools. If you would like more info and a list of properties, please let me know DavidHitchings@kw.com
Paulina,

This area of Dallas ...Highland Park, University Park, etc...is referred to as Park Cities. I searched this particular area and a couple of others that are close to neighborhood restaurants and retail. I have included the link below to the homes that I found for your review.

When you open the link, click on the photo for additional information about that home.

These homes are all at least 2,400 square feet and are in established neighborhoods with mature landscaping. There are a couple of new construction homes but the rest are original.

My office is in Park Cities so I am right in the middle of these neighborhoods. If you would like any additional information about any of the homes, would like to see them or have questions in general, please feel free to call or email me and I will be delighted to assist you.

Thanks.

Alan Wynn - Realtor
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Park Cities
214.729.5582
info@DallasHousesOnTheWeb.com
Do you have children we need to be concerned with? If not then the M streets, Lakewood, have mature trees, Parts of Plano

Frisco, Colleyville, Southlake, are all new areas.... Dallas is built in cow pastures and other wide open spaces trees are a commodity.... have thought about lake views, golf course views, Flower Mound, Grapevine are some options.

We offer a Dallas buyers rebate program earn up to 50% of our commissions.

http://www.lynn911.com
Look East of Central/South of Mockingbird all the way to near downtown. Some of this is called M-Streets/Lakewood/Hollywood Heights. Not exactly HP/UP, but you might like this too.
You can also go all the way up Preston Rd North of NW Hwy to 635. Less pricy, but still with good appreciation potential. There are also some pockets just to the West of UP/HP that look interesting and I think could be the next big thing. Not sure about the walking distance thing though....so far people in Texas don't walk......we're all about big pickups and Hummers.....I can't tell you how many people I hear complain at the health clubs about no availablility of up front parking.....just kidding....could just be the heat.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX