General Area in Los Angeles>Question Details

ryslindgren, Other/Just Looking in Florida

What areas in Los Angeles are best to avoid with regards to buying affordable condos?

Asked by ryslindgren, Florida Fri May 18, 2012

With regards to "bad areas" eg. crime, low rental and bad communities.

Answers

8
Anna M Brocco’s answer
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 18, 2012
Oh My...as Realtors, we are not supposed to answer this question by stating bad areas...however, you may want to check with the local police departments to discuss high crime areas.

Another thing you can do is to map out the areas that you are looking at and then drive them several times on different days and times and see what they are like. Weekends and night times usually give a good depiction of what an area is like.

As far as buying and renting, speak with a real estate professional that will be able to give you data on affordable condo's and demographics.

Feel free to contact me directly if I may be of assistance to you. I am a native to Southern California and know it pretty well.

All the best, and good luck!

Kat Becker, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@prula.com
Many web sites offer crime statistics and "gang" activity. Agents only have the ability to disclose what they know. One persons comfort level is far above and far below anothers. I suggest you browse the attached site for some general city crime stats.

Stephanie Hart
Broker-Associate
Forecast Realty
310-918-6856
CA DRE 01338444
http://www.hartssellsouthbay.com
Dear Ryslindgren,

Your best bet is to connect with a Los Angeles Realtor who can guide you in your condo purchase. Los Angeles is a "patchwork" of neighborhoods, and the local Agents know it best. Los Angeles is pricey, generally speaking compared to some other areas and naturally the most luxurious properties will be the most expensive!
Good Luck on your purchase!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012
Are you looking for an owner-user or investment situation? It is certainly possible to view crime statistics and historical data for specific areas. When looking for an investment scenario, you can also take into consideration the overall picture. I work with a lot of investors (and owner users) all over Los Angeles and would be happy to help assess what areas would work best given your overall real estate goals. Feel free to contact me for assistance.

Richard Schulman
#1 Agent KW Westside Realty
(310) 482-0173
schulmanrd@gmail.com
Hi R;
I generate an eight page report on individual properties of interest to my clients that gives data on crime, schools, value vs. other areas,walkability, etc, and breaks all of that data down into a property score from 1-100. Then this same score is compared with others in the community and the neighborhood. It gives you a way to compare like properties from different neighborhoods on a more even playing field. All components are charted and broken down for easy understanding.
Would you like to see a sample report? Feel free to contact me.
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) (310) 800-2954
http://www.thebremnergroup.com
Accredited Buyer Representative|Certified Distressed Property Expert |Pre-Foreclosure Specialist Certified
I want you to know that I appreciate any referrals from friends and associates who may be in the market to buy or sell real estate. You can count on me giving them the same high-quality service I provide to all of my clients.
As in love, there is someone for everyone, and someone for every property. You are obviously concerned about security issues and turnover. Check into these through the local police department and HOA. Were you looking to move to LA or buy for investment?
Hi Merilyn, am looking to buy for investment purposes and as a foreign buyer was just interested in what areas of LA would be affordable yet produces some good rental yields.
Flag Fri May 18, 2012
You will find that that there are not many affordable condos in Los Angeles that are FHA approved today because the HOA's are having hard financial times because of delinquent HOA dues and tougher FHA requirements. I would suggest that you look at houses and get govt assistance with the down payment--can get up to $75K in down payment assistance..