General Area in Cedar Rapids>Question Details

Mark, Home Buyer in Cedar Rapids, IA

What are the most desirable neighbohoods / suburban areas / Elementary Schools in Cedar Rapids, IA. area ?

Asked by Mark, Cedar Rapids, IA Sat Oct 27, 2007

Answers

6
Hi Mark,

The highest rated public school district is the Linn Mar district located in Marion, Northeast Cedar Rapids, and Robins. However, you can find excellent elementary schools in other areas as well.

Roger
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 13, 2007
Mark,

Linn Mar is a very good school district. Kennedy and Prairie are good too. I would be happy to supply info for specific areas which would reflect sales statistics based on the schools. You would also be welcome to stop in my office to pick up area maps which have neighborhoods set apart by the elementary schools they service or I would be happy to drop one off at your home or place of business. In fact, there may be others where you work who would be interested in those maps. Your question asks more than school info and I'd like to help in any way possible. Please let me know how I can help. Thanks-John
John Beltramea
Broker/Owner
Elite GMAC Real Estate
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
319-393-3190
John@Elitegmacrealestate.com
IOWA Licensed Real Estate Broker
I have not heard so much about the Linn Mar school district, so I cannot comment on that, but I have always heard people talking up the Prairie (College Community) School District. I can remember before I had children hearing coworkers, etc talking about Prairie and even refusing to buy houses that were not in the Prairie School District. Now that I have children, I actually live in the district (not on purpose, it just came to be that way) and I can see why people love it so much.
Linn-Mar School District is far and above the rest of Linn County areas, especially for Elementary Schools. Westfield ES is considered the best by most and Bowman Woods is good too. Whatever feeds into Linn-Mar HS is going to be fine. The other High Schools in the county do not quite measure up. Unless you want to pay over $5K for a good private school on top of your high taxes in Iowa anyway. Public is best anyway if you have a special needs child becasue the privates do not provide the same quality of specialized support.
The highest scoring schools on Cedar Rapids' northeast side are the Pierce Elementary(92nd percentile) and Viola Gibson (89th). They both feed into Kennedy High School. (students there scored at the 92nd percentile in the ITED's) Jackson Elementary (88) is the top northwest side school, I believe it feeds into Kennedy and Jefferson High School. Coolidge (77nd percentile) is the top southwest school. The southeast schools didn't fare as well.
Viola Gibson has many students from newer subdivisions in rual settings. Many are bussed. Pierce has an established and some newer neighborhoods with houses in all price ranges. Jackson and Coolidge also have a variety of neighborhoods that feed into them. The northeast side is where most of the newer homes are being built.
You really should check out Mount Vernon. We are just a few miles down the road and offer small town living at its finest!
Web Reference: http://www.cbltc.com