General Area in Minneapolis>Question Details

Mplsmomma, Both Buyer and Seller in Minneapolis, MN

What are the more affordable but up-and-coming neighborhoods in Minneapolis; specifically for young families? Safe, bigger houses, low crime.

Asked by Mplsmomma, Minneapolis, MN Wed May 26, 2010

Answers

7
NE Mpls (Holland, Sheridan, Marshall Terraces, Water Park, St Anthony) would all fall into this category. Built around 1900 for river, mill, factory wrkers, the houses tend to be large and a good chunk of their older occupants have moved on in the past 20 years. Lot's of artists and people willing to put some work into their houses moving here.

Webber/Camden & Victory, Lind-Bohannon on the "infamous" North Side. Many fine houses and neighborhoods overe here at good prices because the address has a "N" in front of it instead of a "S". N Mpls is bad, no doubt about it but a general rule of thumb is...if the house is higher than 40th St N it's ok.

E Nokomis/Wenona/Keywadin/Morris Park are actually in kind of a decline but I see a lot of value here. Big houses, good prices, nice neighboprhoods, close to the lake and falls. Drawback is airport noise.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 20, 2010
Same here, contact / visit or check with the City of Minneapolis Police and statistics.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/

Crime:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crime-statistics/
(this is an interesting one)

one more:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/residents/neighborhoods.asp

Benito.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 26, 2010
Dear MplsMomma,

You are asking a tricky question because none of us have crystal balls, and we are not legally allowed to "steer" you either to or away from a particular neighborhood. I have a gorgeous home listed over in the Linwood neighborhood on the W side of Lake Harriet and I am really liking that neigborhood. Now, as far as crime, it is our obligation to refer you to the local police department, who will gladly share the crime reports with you.

I have also felt that on the northern side, both Northeast and the Camden neighborhoods are both fabulous nice sized homes and great neighborhoods. I have bought and sold a lot of homes in NE and remember so many late summer nights driving through there and seeing all the little 8-11 year old kids playing and riding their bikes at dark. They all seemed so relaxed and safe. But that is my 3 cents worth.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 26, 2010
I can only speak for the area I live. We live in the Carag neighborhood of Minneapolis. This is one of the Uptown/Lakes neighborhoods. I'm seeing more and more families moving in. There is a mix of housing, with some blocks having more rentals than others. The neighborhood has older residents who have lived here forever. As they transition out, younger professional couples move in. On our block, 6 homes are being fixed up (including ours), there are 3 families with kids under 5, some rentals occupied by recent graduates starting out, and one ugly apartment building with a mix of people, including blue collar and less educated.

But there are no bargains out there, really. If the neighborhood is safe, and the homes are large, you'll pay for it.
Mplsmomma, we can talk about the market and houses and such all day long, but the crime rates are a no-no for us.

As for affordable housing, there are some wonderful areas out there. As far as "up and coming", Camden has some wonderful housing inventory at very affordable prices. NE Mpls is also a good mainstay. But, as long as I've been a REALTOR, the SW Mpls neighborhoods still hold the best market value of any area of Mpls.

I guess I'd need to know more about what would go in to your choices in order to advise you more thoroughly. You may contact me if you wish.
Here is a bloog with some information on this.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/minneapolis-st-paul/281059-mo…
Unfortunately, Federal Fair Hosing Laws prevent an agent from answering--do some of your own homework first by visiting areas more than once and at different times of day. For any safety concerns, your best source of information is the local police department, call/visit and ask all your questions, they'll gladly help.