General Area in Alabaster>Question Details

riddle767, Other/Just Looking in

What are the first steps of getting a home built? I looked at several web sites and none of them answered my

Asked by riddle767, Wed Jul 18, 2007

question. I am interested in Alabaster, Helena, Pelham, Al. Thanks to all that responded to my last question.

Answers

5
Hello Riddle,

Stop looking at web sites and start talking to builders. The first thing you need to do is determine where you want your house built. I do not mean the lot but the town. Then go to the building department for that town (usually in the town hall) and talk to the building commissioner or building inspectors. They will be happy to give you the names of builers that work in the town and have good reputations. Sit and interview a few. View their homes and talk to their past clients. Make sure that you are not just happy with the construction but are comfortable with the builder. You will be tied to this builder during construction phase and warranty phase for well over 1 year. Once the builder is selected the rest is simple! Take it one step at a time and don't let yourself get overwhelmed and you will be fine and happy with the results!

Best of Luck,
Linda J Sears
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2007
I would check with your local City and State Home Builder Association. Tell them what you are looking for and they will give you several referrals. Like looking for an employee for your business, I would interview serveral potential builders and check their references,( for example the BBB, Licensing Boards, and Former Clients).
Prior to Real Estate, I was a construction project manager for many years. If you already own the property, be certain you visit the land use division of your municipality. Once you know what the CC&R's, iare on your site (if any), it's time to start looking at house plans. You can purchase a set of blueprints from a huge variety of sources. I'll reference a personal favorite under web references. It includes lots of building info as well.

Your next move is to contact builders in your area with an excellent reputation. Check your state licensing agency for prior complaints, etc. MAKE CERTAIN THEY ARE A LICENSED GENERAL CONTRACTOR AND CARRY A BOND large enough to cover your project!

When you've settled on a builder, negotiate pricing and have this laid out in a detailed contract. This will include finishes you've selected, schedule of completion, schedule of payments (last 10% to be paid AFTER Certificate of Occupancy obtained), and warranty.

Then, obtain financing, if necessary.

Feel free to contact me directly for further guidance! -

http://www.JennifersPdxHomes.com
Riddle,

Are you interested in buying land and building something custom or are you looking to have a home built in a development? I am a resident of Alabaster and a Realtor that works the areas you are interested in. Feel free to email me at chad@chad-edwards.com or call 205-999-3989. If you are looking at building on property you own, Linda has provided some good advice. If you are looking to have a home built in a development, you simply need to get together with a Realtor and discuss areas you are interested in and evaluate the new construction in each. I can provide you with listings on all new construection activity in the area.

Chad Edwards
Web Reference: http://www.chad-edwards.com
You might check out the book on our website Home Building Pitfalls. Go to http://www.teamlynn.com, then click on new homes and then on the banner for the book.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX