General Area in Bayview>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are the drawbacks of living in Bayview?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

What are the cons of living here?

Answers

3
Marie’s answer
The crime is the biggest turn off. People can say how great the area is, but in reality you don't see tour buses roaming the area and if you drive in that area by mistake you'd better drive fast. in order to get out of the area.
@Marie You are being way too sensationalist! I've lived in the Bayview for 5 years+ now and its not THAT bad or scary. You're not going to see anything you couldn't see in other parts of SF.

No, it's not Noe Valley but can you afford a house with a backyard there? I would advise trying to buy in the Silver Terrace which is the area west of 3rd St., south of Palou(?), rather than in "the flats" east of 3rd.

The biggest drawbacks are the lack of local stores/restaurants that you'd actually want to go to but as another poster said this is (slowly) changing. Latest addition is All Good Pizza right opposite the fabulous Flora Grubb Garden Center and Fresh&Easy market.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 19, 2012
We've been living in the area for 4 months now, and Its not as bad as its reputation would indicate. Seriously people... it's safe and the neighbors are a lot more friendly than other ritzy places we've lived!
I agree, which is why we bought there less than a year ago. But the reality is that it is still on the low end of the improvement scale, especially if you are white as you tend to be treated as the enemy by some of the school age kids.
Flag Tue May 6, 2014