General Area in Coronado>Question Details

Mars, Home Buyer in Coronado, CA

What are the different "personalities" of the Coronado Cays?

Asked by Mars, Coronado, CA Mon May 3, 2010

My family is relocating to Coronado this summer (anytime before the school year begins). We love the water, beach and are boaters, so the Cays looked appealing to us. We have two boys (9 & 11), so want to ensure the area is very family friendly. With so many villages within the Cays to choose, how can we get a feel for each of their personalities? Going out on a househunting trip next week, but would like to understand the pros and cons of the areas before arriving.

Many thanks for your input! And thanks to all of you who lend your time to questions like mine.

Cheers,

Answers

10
I move to the Cays at age 13 and live there for 10 years. My parents for 30 years. Live in town. A lot more to do for the kids. It was a pain coming and going to town as a kid.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 17, 2010
Hi there Mars,
As a current Cays resident and owner of 3 homes in different Cays villages, and have represented many Cays sellers and buyers over the last 11 years, my best advice for you is to work with a realtor who currently lives and works in the Cays. This is important because the Cays is a very unique area and only someone who lives there truly understands all of the nuances. One of my favorite things to do is to give tours of the place I love, the place I live, and the place that I have called home for 11 years. So, if you would really like to know EVERYTHING about the Cays, then just give me a call at 619-204-3400 email Vicki@BestofCoronado.com or log onto my website at http://www.BestofCoronado.com I would be happy to give you one of my complimentary Cays tours.
Vicki Inghram
http://www.BestofCoronado.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010
Coronado Cays is a newer planned developed area. The homes are lager with some track style homes. The area is ideal if you have a boat: you can dock your boat in your back yard on the bay. The ocean is across the street.The overall lifestyle is quite and relaxing. Resturants and shopping is five miles away. You will love the Coronado Life Style either location.
Hi Mars,
I am also a local top producing Realtor and 20+ year Coronado resident. I grew up in the Coronado Cays on the beach front. My family moved to the coronado village due to the 15 minute commute for me to private school (at the time). Both are fantastic communities and if you're a boater, the Cays probably would appeal to you more. There are very few waterfront communities where you can park your boat in your backyard...

Each village in the Coronado Cays has its own character, from the gated montego village to custom homes in Green Turtle.... there's a little bit for everybody.

You'll definitely get more home for your $$ in the Coronado Cays...stastistics and trends will show that homes in the Coronado Cays sell for a lower price per square foot.

Best of luck in your search!
Hi Mars,

I am a local Coronado realtor and mother and am happy to help you out here. I am not afraid to say that Coronado is an absolutely fantastic community to raise a family and it is why my husband and I have made it our home. The schools are top-notch and the community is perfect for the family lifestyle. I am happy to set you up on a home tour of the Cays, as well as email you property notifications that meet your search criteria. Is there a particular price range you are looking in?

Some info about the Cays:
Coronado Cays is an exclusive collection of luxurious waterfront homes, located just 5 miles south of Coronado Village and within an easy walking distance of the crashing waves of Silver Strand Beach. This upscale development is made up of numerous inlets, peninsulas and water ways. Many Coronado Cays houses and condos for sale have bay views and private boat docks. This is the only community south of Newport Beach to possess this unique feature.

The Coronado Cays real estate development is comprised of 10 residential villages, each with access to an exclusive club house, pool and spa. Other Coronado Cays amenities include Silver Strand State Beach access, tennis courts, expansive park space for activities and dogs, city fire department, security patrols, and Coronado Cays Yacht Club.

Jill was right when she said that the Cays is overall one big, bayside community, and although there are individual communities in the Cays with their own clubhouses and pools, you'll probably select a "village" based on what your home needs are--ie, whether you want a large detached house with your own boat dock, or a smaller condo, or a detached home with no dock.

The Cays is about a 5-10 minute drive from the Village to Coronado. The only downside is you do have to make the drive down the "strand" anytime you need something from the store. The upside is you get peace and serenity not necessarily always found in the Village--as well as direct water access from many of the homes. Many Cays kids will spend the day in smaller boats cruising the different channels and inlets. A pretty cool way to grow up! The Cays has its own elementary school, but your kids may be able to attend Village Elementary (in the Village--great school) or private school until they would go to Coronado Middle school and high school, which are wonderful. Check out my link on Coronado schools to get more info:
http://www.coronadoislandhomes.com/coronado-schools

To search homes in the Coronado Cays, and for more general Coronado info, go to http://www.coronadoislandhomes.com. I have also posted a map of the Coronado Cays. (PS--just updated the website in the last week, so some of the site is under construction)

Please feel free to contact me anytime. I work with my mom and we are award-winning Coronado realtors who would be delighted to help you in your home search.

Christine Van Tuyl
Prudential California Realty
Coronado, CA 92118
858.405.7264
christinevt@prusd.com
http://www.coronadoislandhomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Mars,
Here is a link to a site where you can check on the general Coronado zip demographics, schools, crime etc.
http://fredeckertgroup.com/template38/nextpage.asp?mnu=49318
There is no school right in the Cays, so depending on which grades they will enter, they might be going to school in the village of Coronado, just a few miles away. I live in the village and raised my children here. Much to do, theatre coming, more parks, big library, skate park, municipal pools etc. You might check there and let me know if you need a recommendation for a Realtor, Lender, Home inspector etc.
Hi Mars,

While the Cays may seem quite different and unique judging by its layout, it truly is one big community. There are centralized areas (pool, tennis, small parks) that help unify the different parts of the Cays as well as the community center and local coffee and sweets stand (soon to be expanding into lunch and other items full storefront) with tables and benches overlooking the canal that draws people together.
With regard to your own family, you will most certainly find families with children that age and beyond living in the Cays. Families either opt for the local Coronado schools (great by the way: check out the details at greatschools.org), or some go over the bridge to private schools. What's nice about the Cays is the ease of biking and walking for your family, and the close proximity to the bike path right outside the gates that spans the perimeter of Coronado (going all around the golf course and under the bridge to the bay side of town) or just jets into the downtown of Coronado (a 7-10 min bike ride away).
The gist being that you may want to focus more on what traits in a home are important to you and your lifestyle in purchasing in the Cays (ie bayfront, canal front, distance from "the strand" (main road), corner lot, upgraded v. original, etc), rather than which subdivision as you will find yourself with a mix of it all and access to meeting lots of great people. You'll find that in talking with anyone who's out and about at the Cays that they all love living there. That's the general consensus not only with the Cays but Coronado in general.
Hope that helps and if I can expand on this any further, please feel free to contact me. Best of luck.

Jill Wheeler
Willis Allen Real Estate
Yes, you can read about blips on area sites and we can provide links to additional information, just can't offer/render an opinion--however-- for expansion of information, do some of your own homework first--you are the best source in determining what is good for you, what suits your wants, needs and lifestyle--keep in mind that opinions are often suggestive and what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another. See link for additional information.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Coronado-California.html
Just looking for general impressions, not persuasion. If brokers can't answer, then they shouldn't.

But, I hope your answer does not scare off those who may have otherwise been able to provide helpful information.

I know on many brokers websites there is a small blurb about the differences among the villages. I'm simply looking for an expansion of those blurbs. Obvious that one can develop their own impressions of an area if the "visit several times and at different times of the day." But, I am 3,000 miles away and trying to find a home long distance - hence, I am looking for local imput via Trulia.

Perhaps I can get input from the Coronado area rather than from New York. (Though I appreciate the response).
Fair Housing Laws prevent an agent from answering--visit a neighborhood several times and at different times of day to get a sense of belonging and look at everything that is important to you. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached.