General Area in Nob Hill>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are the current real estate market conditions like in Nob Hill?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

Are home prices in Nob Hill going to appreciate or depreciate? What are the current market conditions for buying or renting?

Answers

3
I question a corellation between the America's Cup and rising home values, but even without the help of a mega-million dollar yacht race prices on Nob Hill are going up both in terms of rent and selling prices. I had a little condo at The Galleria on the market two years ago that couldn't sell so my client rented it out. Recently we decided to quietly market it with the tenant in place (at her last listing price) and received an offer within two weeks. I have another buyer in the $1M+ range for Nob Hill who was sitting on the fence all last year. Now she's finally getting serious and recognizing the need to up her price range in order to get what she wants.
I must agree with Peter he is right on the trigger. Add to that a limited amount of properties for sale.
As of 2011, rental prices are going up and up. This is a similar story to San Francisco in general.
For home prices, given the constraints on quality supply, I believe that prices are holding up well and not cheap, but I think are a worthwhile investment for the long term.
With the San Francisco economy doing reasonably well and the America's Cup in 2013, I suspect prices are more likely to increase in the near to mid term.