General Area in Globeville>Question Details

Michael Lutz, Real Estate Pro in Denver, CO

What are the boundries of Globeville in Denver and what are some historical facts?

Asked by Michael Lutz, Denver, CO Tue Sep 25, 2007

Answers

5
Globeville: I-25, 54th, Platte River, 44th.

The northern part of this area is the old Argo Mills which used to be a gold mill. Globeville is surrounded by industry of the past and present, much of the industry of yesterday no longer exists in Globeville today. The Polish immigrants that worked at Argo Mills populated the residential neighborhoods. When I-70 was constructed in the 60's the neighborhood was forever split by the barrier.

For more information about any of Denver's City Center neighborhoods please feel free to contact me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2007
Who is the local house representative for Globeville...ptaylor47@comcast.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 2, 2010
Globeville is the old neighborhood bounded by I-25 on the west to roughly Wasington St. on the east, and the Adams County line on the north. To th south, It extends roughly four or five blocks south of I-70. Globeville was founded by Slavic immigrants, who began building in the 1880s. Even today it consists almost entirely of very small homes on mostly small lots, many of them "originals" built between 1882 and 1910.. Globeville was a separate town until just after 1900 when it was annexed to Denver. The huge stockyards to the east and smelters and various other factories in almost every direction supplied work for the residents, but those have almost all closed down or moved elsewhere since the early 1960s. Globeville became home first to a population predominantly African-American, and is now overwhelmingly Hispanic. But decendants of some original Slavic settlers still live there, and others return regularly to attend church at old Slavic and E. European churches iconcentrated in the blocks jusnorth of I-70 - Transfiguration Russian Orthodox, St. John's Romanian Orthodox, St. Joseph Roman Catholic "Polish" parish, and Holy Rosary, built by non-Polish Slavs in 1915.

The neighborhood is poor and many homes there are barely fit for habitation, if that. Others, a minority, are spacious and well kept. But Globeville is not crime-ridden. It is a quiet, friendly neighborhood, and it helps to speak Spanish if you live there.
Globeville is around: I-25, to 54th, to Platte River, to 44th.

Globeville is surrounded by industry of the past and present, much of the industry of yesterday no longer exists in Globeville today. It is still around the area. When I-70 was constructed in the 60's the neighborhood was forever split by the barrier the north area is called Swansea.

For more information please feel free to contact me.
Web Reference: http://Kennaandco.com
Web Reference: http://www.mikesclients.com