General Area in 07030>Question Details

Njmom, Home Buyer in 07030

What are the best NJ towns for a family to live in with great schools and a downtown/main street atmosphere?

Asked by Njmom, 07030 Sun Apr 4, 2010

My family currently lives in Jackson, NJ but I am keeping my eyes open to move to a town in NJ that is affordable, has great schools and a great community for our family and has a little main street with shops/restaurants...which towns should I focus on?

Answers

11
You might want to check out Manasquan. The schools are excellent, the downtown area is charming, and of course, there's a beach!
You can see more info about Manasquan at my website below.
Home prices range from $400K up.
Check it out!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 5, 2010
Actually Njmom.......In your question you asked which towns you "should focus on" that have that Main St feel..................agents here responded with suggestions for some of the towns they cover......that's not spam............that's simply answering your question
It's not "cheerleading' either..........it's referencing the towns they know the best.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 4, 2010
Njmom,

Many of the top school districts in Northern New Jersey also have some of the more expensive real estate in the area.

You posted this question under Hoboken. Many of the people who move out of Hoboken and wish to live in areas which you described tend to look to buy in the following areas:

Ridgewood, Montclair, Westfield, Red Bank, Chatham/Madison/Summit/Short Hills, Morristown, & Princeton. All of these towns have a main street/town center. I'm sure there are other towns which others will contribute to this posting.

Here is a website for NJ public school rankings.

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindexphp/STATE_NJ.html

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll be happy to assist.

--
Walter J. Burns
Realtor-Associate
Weichert Realtors
Hoboken, NJ
201-653-8488 Ext: 230
201-694-8946 Mobile
http://www.livingonthehudson.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 4, 2010
Hi NJ Mom
It really depends on your price range & part of Nj you want to live in. If you want to stay in this area the most affordable places with comparable homes to Jackson with a downtown or Main St & good schools would be Toms River, Point Pleasant or Freehold . If you want to go further north or closer to the shore you will probably get less house for the money in comparaison. I have liived in Jackson, Toms River & Manalapan so I am familiar with the area. If you need help finding the right place feel free to call me & give me the particulars: price range, size home you need & where you commute to work & I can give you some guidance. I service Monmouth, Ocean & Middlesex County.
Joan Congilose CRS, GRI, e-Pro
RE/MAX Central Manalapan
(732) 972-1000 Ext:364
(732) 232-5277
Hi Nj,

Great schools and affordability are conflicting goals. The towns whose schools rank at the top of the charts also have the highest prices. The two seem to go together. You are probably going to have to think more in terms of average schools if you are seeking affordability. Fortunately average schools in New Jersey are good enough to get the job done, especially if you are highly involved on a day in and day out basis.

The first step is to speak to a mortgage broker and decide what you are comfortable spending. Without that all you will get are agents cheerleading their hometowns and offering their services, which basically provides you with no useful information. Tell us what you are comfortable spending and where employment will be located. Then you will get some useful suggestions rather than the spam.

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director/Appraiser
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Web: http://www.marcpaolella.com

-Marc
Hi Njmom!

Well, stand back, and get ready for the stampede!! There are so many towns in this great state that offer that small town community feel, with Main Sreets and the warmth you are looking for.

Your price range will be a major determining factor.
For example, Essex County and Morris County have many towns with that "Main Street" feel - Millburn, Montclair, the Caldwells, Chatham, Madison, Morristown,..............most of the "train towns" have that downtown atmosphere, but that does come with a higher price range attached.

Why not reach out to a few agents in the various areas to get a sense of what the home prices and taxes will be...then you can begin to whittle down the list, and see what areas will work best for you and your family.

Good luck with your search and move..........
If I can be of help, and share information about towns in my area, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I also have a number of useful links with NJ town information on my website - stop by and take a look!

Best wishes......
Debbie Rose
Priudential NJ Properties
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialnewJersey.com
Have you thought about manasquan? It has all those things and a really great place to live

Val
NJmom,

Metuchen....lovely small downtown, classic older homes, great schools, walkable to the NJ Transit trains to NYC or Trenton/Princeton/Philly...close to major highways (Turnpike, GSP, Rt 1. Rt 287)...

go to http://www.bestplaces.net and check it out....
It really depends on your price range an place of work
Njmom,

What area of NJ are you looking to move? North?Central? South? What is affordable to you? What is your budget? I think we defenitely need to know your budget to recommend you towns....Lets us know!