Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are the benefits of living in Western Addition?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

What are the pros of living here?

Answers

3
Western Addition is comprised of a number of smaller, diverse and distinct neighborhoods: Lower Pacific Heights, Cathedral Hill, Japantown, the Fillmore, Hayes Valley, Alamo Square, Anza Vista, and NOPA. It's located centrally and bounded by Van Ness Avenue on the east, Masonic on the west, California Street on the north, and Fell or Oak Street.

Although WA has a reputation for high crime, but I've never felt threatened, or been victimized. http://www.trulia.com/crime/ I feel safe but there are definitely streets I would avoid after dark. Despite this, there's lots to like about Western Addition, so much so that I recently invested in a property there.

I moved to the neighborhood from Hayes Valley in May 2011, and live at the far north east corner (Cathedral Hill). I love being so centrally located with access some of San Francisco's most fun and interesting neighborhoods. It's easy to get anywhere, by bus, on foot, or by car.

Lots to do nearby. Great selection of Asian restaurants: shabu-shabu, Korean, Japanese, Sushi, Noodles, Izakaya, Chinese. I walk over to Fillmore for Indian at Dosa or chicken and waffles at Gussies. Polk St., and the Tenderloin have lots of nightlife options. Safeway is within walking distance, and there are two Japanese markets on Post. Japantown mall is always fun, plus there's the Kabuki theatre and spa.

My neighborhood is very residential, mostly condos and coops. I have lots of options when walking the dog. There's are two off-leash parks within two blocks. Is cooler, more foggy sometimes when I get off the bus from work in Soma.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 18, 2011
I would agree, though Western Addition typically has a high density of crime and some section 8 housing, I think the area is being gentrified. And there are better locations in the city than Western Addition.
Flag Fri Nov 18, 2011
This area is known as NoPa, or North of the Panhandle. The Panhandle is a long strip of park land connected to Golden Gate Park. It is close to many interesting neighborhoods and, of course, the beautiful and historic Golden Gate Park. This area is ideal for those who love to run, and like a relatively clean and calm neighborhood, that is also adjacent to areas with more nightlife.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 15, 2011
It's like a relaxed version of the Mission. Very relaxed, not as dense, with lots of cute coffee shops to work in and a growing art scene. Great San Francisco Victorian architecture. Close to the Panhandle, Golden Gate Park and the Haight, so nightlife is easily accessible. Great for USF and CCSF students. This area has a neighborhood feel - people will help you if you look lost and shop-owners will tell you the story of how they met their husband.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 15, 2011