General Area in Potrero Hill>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are the benefits of living in Potrero Hill?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

What are the pros of living here?

Answers

4
I lived above the Whole Foods in Potrero Hill for almost 2 years. Which brings me to benefit #1 right away - the Whole Foods. Hot bar was so great on nights we didn't want to cook. And if we wanted to go out, Live Sushi was across the street or we could take an easy (though uphill) walk to 18th Street restaurants.

Overall, our area was a pretty safe, quiet family community. Quiet at night, a tennis court and busy playground at Jackson Playground park, and easy street parking. We loved living there. However, I'm not sure I would have walked too far out of my immediate hood alone late at night.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 14, 2011
Potrero Avenue and 17th is a bustling, diverse are on the edge of the Mission and Potrero Hill districts. The weather is almost always sunny, and it’s flat so walking to the nearby Safeway or Whole Foods is very convenient. Muni bus lines are practically at your front door and freeway access is nearby if you own a car. Great restaurants such as the Slow Club and Universal Café are close-by and of course, the exciting Mission District is a ten-fifteen minute walk away. The rents are relatively affordable but competitive since this is a popular area to live in San Francisco.
Right in the middle of a surprisingly busy place. There is an art school nearby with weekly openings, as well as bars/venues, a Whole Foods, and good diners. We are away from the bustle of downtown but there is enough happening to keep us busy! Also, 16th and Mission is a quick ride down the road.
I live in the North Slope area near Chez Papa and the love the area. First and foremost, you can't beat the weather -- it's by far one of the sunniest neighborhoods in SF. Secondly, it's close to both the 280 and 101, shaving a huge amount of your commute time if you fly out of SFO often or work in the south bay. Besides some of those practical elements though, it's also been a pleasant surprise from a food perspective. Umi is a hidden secret for Sushi and most folks are familiar with Chez Papa/Mama as well as the latest hot breakfast spot, Plow.

The only drawback for me is access to public trans (only a handful of buslines). Luckily, I own a car so it's not that much of an issue.