General Area in Marina>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are the benefits of living in the Marina?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

What are the pros of living here?

Answers

5
My favorite part about the Marina is probably the accessibility to such a wide variety of great food and drink options. It's so convenient living just a couple blocks from Chestnut Street to be able to wander out of my apartment to get a quick salad at Pluto's, have a beer at one of the many local watering holes, or enjoy fine dining at a place like Terzo. As an outdoor enthusiast, it's also very nice to live close to the Marina Green and be able to jog out to Crissy Field or to the Golden Gate. I've lived here for 5 years and love it!
Great, central location and no hills to walk up and down
Easy access to the water, Crissy Field and of course - the happening social scene. The Marina is teeming with young, single professionals who like to go out and have a great time. It's also a great place to buy or rent if you're in that "transition phase" of your life, meaning that you're contemplating starting a family in the next couple years. While the Marina is rather expensive, the neighborhood is family friendly. There are parks, libraries and schools throughout the Marina.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
I have lived in the Marina for almost six years and wouldn't choose to live anywhere else in the city. Sure, the Marina comes with it's stereotypes (and many are true), but the pros far outweigh the cons. Another Voice mentioned that people in the Marina tend to not venture too far off "campus." I have to admit I'm guilty of that. Reason being, all the amenities so close to home: Chestnut Street, Union Street and Polk Street are all within walking distance and offer an array of dining and shopping options. For recreation, there's Chrissy Field, the Marina Green and the Presidio (home to my favorite climbing gym, Planet Granite) - and if you don't mind tourist jumping, you can run through Ft. Mason, down to Fisherman's Warf and along the Embarcadero. Ft. Mason is also a great community asset year-round for events like Off the Grid, Vintners' Market, the Farmers' Market and Oyster Fest. And when you've had enough of the Marina and want to explore other parts of the city, there are convenient bus lines that get you anywhere you need to go.
This is a very posh part of town. Most of the houses are single family homes and range from the somewhat large to the mansion-sized. There are many great shops, restaurants and bars on nearby Chestnut street and if you don't want to drive anywhere you can find plenty to do in a few square radius of your house. In fact people who live in the Marina have a reputation for rarely leaving. The streets are all clean and tree lined. If you walk down the street you will run into young, clean cut, preppy people who look more Orange County than San Francisco. Overall this neighborhood is clean, quiet, safe and maintains just the right social balance between calm and boisterous.