General Area in Inner Sunset>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are the benefits of living in Inner Sunset?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

What are the pros of living here?

This intersection is in the Inner Sunset district of the city and is quite lovely and affordable for those with middle to modest incomes. Many students call this area home, as well as families moving out of the more frenetic areas of the city. There is ample street parking, minimal panhandling, and reasonable rents in this area. There are many nice shops on Judah and Irving streets; both these streets are close to the MUNI light rail lines. The area is also next to Golden Gate Park- always a plus.
19th Avenue itself is a busy road that offers fairly quick access to San Francisco hot spots like Golden Gate Park, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Presidio, and San Francisco State University. This intersection is the mouth to bustling Irving Street which is packed with great markets, restaurants, and bars. Parking is fairly easy, and even if you can't find a spot on Irving itself, the surrounding streets offer many parking spaces throughout the week.
Totally agree!
Flag Mon Dec 12, 2011
The intersection at 9th and Irving represents the Inner Sunset District's social hub, famous for its dense offering of quality Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Italian, American, and Mexican cuisine. Nightlife includes a handful of bars and Irish pubs. Parking is often easily found along Lincoln Avenue, while commuting to downtown takes about 45 minutes on public transit, on either the 71 Bus or the N-Judah light-rail. The neighborhood is safe, clean, and family-friendly, and is at the entrance to some of Golden Gate Park's best offerings: The Botanical and Japanese Tea Gardens, the De Young Museum, and the Academy of Sciences.
I recently just moved to the area, not sure what to expect and hearing all kinds of horror stories about what happens when you move into the "wrong neighborhood". I'm happy to say though, that I've been pleasantly surprised by the Inner Sunset, and now every day I feel as though I picked the perfect place to start my life in San Francisco.

One thing that everyone will agree on; this neighborhood is foggy. But so most of San Francisco, and London, and Edinburgh. There's a lot more to this neighborhood than the weather. Everything you need is right here, bars, restaurants, banks, pharmacy, schools, emergency pet hospital, emergency human hospital, a gym, grocery store and a corner store open until midnight on 9th & Judah. Also, this neighborhood is incredibly convenient for transportation, public and private. I work in the Financial District, so all I have to do is walk a couple of blocks to catch the N-Judah line, and I'm in the center of downtown San Francisco in 30 minutes. My girlfriend however, works in Daly City, a few miles to south of San Francisco. She drives, and can get to the main highway in a few minutes, so she usually has a faster commute to work than I do

Of course, the flip side of this is that there is an N-Judah line train going up and down Judah Street, which can get noisy. However, I live one block away and never hear it. There are also excellent bus lines too, one of which goes directly into Golden Gate Park, the Botanical Gardens and Academy of Sciences and Haight Ashbury in less than 10 minutes.

One problem is that are there are no cheap, mainstream grocery stores. Roxie and Andronico's are great grocery stores and supermarkets, but they are also very expensive. The N-Judah line does go straight past a Safeway though, so I can always stop off there and pick up essentials on my way home from work. Also, somewhere in the area there is a group home for mentally handicapped people. While this is of little consequence, occasionally you will come across some kind-natured, though socially oblivious people in the neighborhood and more likely on the train. I certainly wouldn't put this as a reason to not live in the Inner Sunset, but it's worth mentioning.

There is an amazing Farmers Market right in the center of the neighborhood every Sunday morning (which I am almost never awake in time to go to, but when I have, it's been impressive) and this particular neighborhood does have a sense of a good place for young affluent professionals to start out in and perhaps start family here, and if you're very lucky (as I am) you might get to see the Golden Gate Bridge from your front door.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
If you can deal with the fog and a climate that’s cooler than other San Francisco neighborhoods, the Inner Sunset is an ideal neighborhood to live in, especially if you don’t have a car. Everything you need is within a few blocks - tons of awesome restaurants that represent so many different cuisines, comfy coffee shops, great bars, and fabulous little shops that are great places to buy gifts. You’ve also got your standard drug store, hardware store, beauty store, etc, and there are plenty of dry cleaners, and hair salons to choose from. There’s also a nice farmer’s market every Sunday.

Being near Golden Gate Park is another reason to love the Inner Sunset. You’re just a few blocks away from the De Young museum and the Academy of Sciences, the Shakespeare Gardens, Tea Gardens, Rose Garden, and Stow Lake. The park can get busy on weekends, especially when the weather is good, or if there’s a concert going on (another benefit – some are totally free) , but during the week it’s also a great place to jog or ride your bike.

Inner Sunset is also very safe. There are a few regular homeless folks who hang around and ask for cash, but they are polite and don’t make you feel uncomfortable. There are a lot of families here and people of all ages, and even at night I feel very safe.

Tons of muni lines also come through so it's easy to get to any other area of the city.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 27, 2011