General Area in Hayes Valley>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are the benefits of living in Hayes Valley?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

What are the pros of living here?

Answers

4
Sharon C’s answer
In 2007, I moved from LA to Hayes Valley, and I think it was a perfect SF newbie neighborhood. It's centrally located, easy to get downtown (21 bus), a 12 minute walk to Market Street/Bart. Waking distance to other great neighborhoods like the MIssion, Lower Haight, NOPA, Fillmore, and Japantown.

There's tons to do on Hayes Street which is full of boutique shopping, restaurants, cafes, coffee shops and a few bars. It's lively, fun, and friendly. I loved having stuff to do just outside my door. There's a sweet little park on Octavia where people bring their dogs, kids, and picnics. Recently the city has installed some popup trucks/trailers with ice cream, a butcher, and Ritual Coffee. If the arts are your thing, then you can walk to the Symphony, Opera, theatres, and Asian Art museum.

Hayes Valley does have it's share of section 8 housing, so caution should be taken when parking and walking at night. That being said, I lived literally across from one complex for 4 years and never had a problem.

All in all, I would highly recommend Hayes as a place to live for San Franciscans new and old.
The Lower Haight is more relaxed and less touristy than Haight Ashbury (Upper Haight). The rents here aren't cheap, but they are more reasonable than some of the surrounding areas such as the Mission and the Castro. The neighborhood is pretty evenly split between single young professionals, hipsters, and young families.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 15, 2011
I've actually never lived here, but lived across the panhandle in the Haight several years ago. Even then Hayes Valley was a nice little get away from the Haight, with favorite places like Suppenkiche (German restaurant) and Place Pigalle (fun tavern like bar), and has only improved with time. One of the biggest benefits is some fun and a few great restaurants like Absinthe and Jardiniere.

Also, Hayes Valley is super central, easy to catch a bus, and near Fell St. and Oak St. -- big thoroughfares in SF. Also, a relatively easy walk to Civic Center Bart (for commuters/going to airport), and the new freeway on-ramp to 101/BayBridge is very close, if you want to get away from the city. Easy walks to the Haight, Duboce, and the Castro. Proximity to the panhandle and Golden Gate park is a big plus too.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 27, 2011
Hayes Valley is a fantastic neighborhood to live in because there are tons of amazing restaurants and shops. Having Blue Bottle as your morning coffee spot and Absinthe as your neighborhood bar is reason alone to live here in my opinion. If you need more help spending your money, here are ten other ways: walk into #1 Gimme Shoes #2 Dish #3 Miette Patisserie #4 Dark Garden #5 Alla Prima #6 Lava 9 #7 Arlequin wines #8 True Sake #9 Flight 001 #10 Nancy Boy. If you can walk away without a shopping bag (or 10) then you are a far stronger human being than I. This is also dog and kid parent paradise. Every other person has one or both, they are all chic in their attire and there is a nearby park to walk them!