General Area in Bend>Question Details

Harlan Hunt, Home Buyer in Guerneville, CA

What are some of the best neighborhoods in Bend, oregon? roger james

Asked by Harlan Hunt, Guerneville, CA Fri Oct 5, 2007

Answers

15
Popgoesbend’s answer
It really depends what you are looking for. Close in westside homes are the easiest to walk to shops and downtown, but are often older and smaller. Northwest Crossing is on the edge of the westside and is near the bike trails, although not really walkable to town and the commerce in the neighborhood is not going as well as planned. The houses are all newer, bigger, and mostly built with care. Certain neighborhoods were completely built out by specific builders that aren't known for their quality. I've seen some cheaply built ones east of NE 27th st that don't look like they will last 20 years. Next place to check if you can afford it is Awbrey Butte.

Be aware that we are starting to see massive foreclosures, and the less established neighborhoods will be hit the hardest. Estimates are that 60% of owners who bought in 2006 are underwater and almost 50% of 2007 buyers. Neighborhoods that were mostly built after 2004 or 2005 are going to have a lot of distress in the year to come. One subdivision (Newport Gardens) near NW 14th and Newport has had 7 of 14 lots go into default by the people who own the houses - not a developer going under. Of the 14 lots, not all have houses on them. 5 of 6 of the houses that are built on Newport are in default or already bank owned.

In four of the last five months we have had more Notices of Default than sales in Deschutes County, and in December it was more than double. January's defaults are looking to be much higher than December's. With this in mind we will probably see greater price declines in Bend than we saw in 2008, which ended with medians down to $224.5k, down over 30% year over year. I am predicting sub $200k medians by March. We should see sub $170k by late fall, and $150k by spring 2010. Where it goes from there is going to depend on inflation.
The best area in bend is the west side. The schools are good and there are great restaurants and shops within walking distance. The home prices throughout bend and deschutes county are declining rather rapidly however and this region has been put on the declining values watch list by fannie mae and freddie mac which means getting a loan requires a larger down payment than other areas require and loans are tougher to come by. There are so many homes for sale right now that you might consider renting. Many sellers who cannot get rid of their property are more than willing to rent out their homes for a fraction of what a mortgage payment would be. This gives you the chance to "try before you buy."
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 30, 2008
NW is most sought after for the views, great schools, nicer neighborhoods, extremely well cared for properties. SW is next, then NE and then SE. I am sure you can find nice houses in all area but remember in real estate it's location, location, location. You can change many things about a house except where it is located.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 20, 2008
The west side of Bend is the older more established area. It is more expensive to live however because it is already well developed there will be little change occurring in this area. I hear that the crime tends to be in the north, though I believe that overall the city is safe when compared to other places the same size. I went there for two weeks last summer in order to check out neighborhoods and found some lovely walking/equestrian trails near the 97702 zip code. The east end is newer and more affordable but since it is still in development you don't really know what kinds of neighborhoods are going to spring up. Hope this helps.
The best neighborhood in Bend cannot be answered just westside or northeast side. There are pocket neighborhoods inside each quadrant (NW, SW, NE, SE) that are wonderful. The schools here are all great and if sports are important for your child as well as a great education you may want to check out the sport records for the different schools.

It really is a great idea to have an agent take you around after getting to know what your criteria is so you can get a feel for all of the neighborhoods.

If you would like some help please feel free to contact me I enjoy helping people discover Bend and make the best real estate decision for their needs.

Susan Agli, Broker, SRES, ALHS
Coldwell Banker Morris Real Estate
Licensed in Oregon
lol..tyical agent reply.
Flag Wed Jul 16, 2014
Hey Roger!

Ths short answer is: Westside for cool, Eastside for economical. Bend rocks no matter what and you're never more than 15 minutes from a cool wine shop or a hardware store or a funky bike shop or a great breakfast cafe or Costco.

Victoria
Roger, Please give me a call and I will email you or send you a full list of homes in this area. Their is so many good areas I dont think you can pick a bad one. Depends on what your likes and needs are. Give me a call or email me. Esther Preston-Broker,Heartland Realty,email- estherp@heartlandrealtypros.com
call 541-788-4317 Look forward to meeting with you
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 6, 2008
As others pointed out depends on your needs.
I just bought in Broken Top area on the West side. In between some great schools but most important to us was the proximity to recreation and downtown. Amazing access to walking trails and right out the door to the forest land.
Nice golf courses and lots of trees.
Some of the best neighborhoods in Bend. There are quite a few. It would really depend on what your activities are, that you like to do. If you like winter skiing then SW might be the answer because it is easier to get to Mt. Bachelor from there (which we are rated #4th in the nation for winter skiing). Also if you like more snow then south Bend might be the answer. Out East of Bend you have a thermal area which is warmer than others (in case you like to do a garden) For more city activities then yes in town area some which have homes dating back to the early 1900's and the old mill (which is newer housing after 2000) would be great. I have lived in the Central Oregon area for 32 years. Since 1978 watched it grow from a Timber town to what it is today. It is a beautiful town with lots to do and see. I do agree that working with a Realtor will help you the best because we can match your interest with location.
Hello Roger,
If you are not working with an agent and you would like my assistance in finding the perfect home then please let me know. I can email you listings which match your exact search criteria.
Selena McNeill, Broker

Century 21 Gold Country Realty
376 SW Bluff Drive, Suite 8
Bend, OR 97702
541-390-0595 Cell
541-382-3333 Office
1-541-982-2243 Direct Fax
selenamcneill@yahoo.com
http://www.selenamcneill.com
Licensed in the state of Oregon.
Jim is right Bend has a lot to offer - and speaking with an agent in Bend is vitally important - there are a lot of things a buyer should really know - and finding an experienced agent that knows the area can save you a lot of heart ache.
Roger,
Everyone has their own opinion at what "best" might be. Bend offers many types of different and diverse neighborhoods. For example, last weekend I worked with a client moving to Bend from Memphis. I found with her, what I imagine might find with you. To her, our downtown was the perfect area because of the nightlife, activity, safety and charm. Being from Memphis, she said she never would have imagined that a downtown neighborhood could be so beautiful and safe!
For me, the key would be to find out from you what it important in the neighborhood you wish to live. Close to schools, shopping, hospitals and medical care or your new job!
Jim Mazziotti
Although Pam has done some research on the growth this answer is not really how things are in Bend - this is one of the reasons having a REALTOR® that knows the area is so important. The Old Mill District will show the most growth because it use to be a mill. So all the homes in that area are new and 100% growth - just because an area is growing does not mean it is the "best" neighborhood.

Central Oregon living is about lifestyles, our outdoor recreation is beyond what most areas have or what some can imagine. Living in Central Oregon is like living where you would vacation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2007
Bend is a growing community that still feels like a small down. The areas that are experience the most growth and in demand is the Mill District. The neighborhoods and schools are great. Here is a website that may be of some help. http://www.el.com/to/bend/
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
Bend is a great city that still has a small town feel. You are asking what the best neighborhood is - that depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood. There are a lot of great choices in Bend. If you want to be close to the action of the Mill District or Downtown you may find the west side or park area to be great for you - if you want a little more elbow room you may find the east side a better choice.

Bend has grown quickly and has every type of housing available - you can still buy acreage or a city lot and even a home with a 0 lot line - townhomes and condos - so - what is the best seriously depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood.