General Area in Yakima>Question Details

Dana, Other/Just Looking in Michigan

What are some historic neighborhood areas in Yakima, WA?

Asked by Dana, Michigan Tue Oct 30, 2007

Are any of these historic neighborhoods also within walking distance to restaurants, stores, etc?

Answers

6
The true Historical area in Yakima has a "neighborhood members association" and that would be the Yakima Ave/Barge Homeowners Association. There are around 5 blocks that present a wonderful array of homes from 800SF up to 5000SF; From the Low $100K up to $700K. There is also a dead end street called "linden way" that presents 20 "turn of the century" homes in very good condition on a wonderful tree lined street. Lower Yakima Ave around 16th Ave and Linden Way present the closest location to downtown.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 8, 2009
Just curious.... Does the street Linden Way have a new name? I'm trying to find my Grandmother's home from when I was growing up, and I would love to find it. I know she was there com 1956- maybe 1976? I loved the dead end, the irrigation ditch behind her home, good growing up times.
Flag Fri Sep 6, 2013
Tamra was right about the neighborhood she mentioned. It includes an area that residents are trying to have recognized as the first "historical neighborhood", rather than identifying specific homes for inclusion on the national historical register. The Yakima Valley Museum and Franklin Park, a popular community park, are in the midst of this area. There are also several neighborhoods surrounding the downtown area that are beginning to see some restoration interest as Yakima's downtown core is in the midst of a rebirth. To resotore one of the downtown properties, there may be grant assistance available.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 12, 2008
The Barge-Chestnut Neighborhood is in the process of becoming one of the largest residential historic neighborhoods on the West Coast. Phase one is completed with 6 more phases left to go (as long as the City stays out of the mix!) In June of 2009 This Old House Magazine named our area as one of the top 10 neighborhoods in the United States! Quite an accomplishment!
As of today..April 2011..The BCNA area is from 32nd to 24th Ave - Yakima Ave to Tieton and the South side of Barge...
Franklin Park is in our area and the Yakima Valley Museum...
PLEASE support our neighborhood and Historic District!!!
Hi Dana-

I happen to live in the Barge-Lincoln district John mentions, and it's really not within reasonable walking distance to restaurants and stores, however it is a wonderful neighborhood to walk in just for walking's sake. It's not far to shopping; the area is served by bus routes if driving is a concern.

The homes are overall lovely & unique, most built from the 20s to the 50s in a variety of styles, the yards are gorgeous in general, and it's a very pleasant walk down to Franklin Park. The park has a school, museum, track & tennis courts which are very popular. They also have free concerts throughout the summer, fairs, all sorts of events. Very family-friendly, lots of fun year round, really.
Some of the more historic neighborhoods in Yakima are located in between 16th Ave and 37th Ave. and Yakima Ave to Lincoln Ave. Some of the homes are within walking distance to different ammenities. Please let me know if you have any other questions about the community! I was born and raised in Yakima.

Tamra Brannon
The following link may be of some help.Good luck!
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA