General Area in New Bern>Question Details

Paula, Home Buyer in New Bern, NC

What are some good retirement communities in the New Bern area?

Asked by Paula, New Bern, NC Fri Jan 1, 2010

I love Riverbend and Taberna both have a lot to do. Taberna has a great walking trail around the center of the community. I have a video of Taberna on ytube, here is the link below.
Paula -- I'm not a realtor, but I am a native New Bernian. Your best bet is to look in Fairfield Harbor or Taberna. Both are lovely, tailored to retirees, have golf courses and other recreational activities. New Bern is a wonderful place to live.
While retiring to New Bern is nice, I'd recommend Beaufort North Carolina which is about 40 minutes away on highway 70 on the coast. It was voted top 3 favorite small towns in the south by Southern Living Magazine.

There many nice old historic homes on the waterfront and a couple new retirement communities. The newest is on a golf course with homes starting in the $200's

All of "greater New Bern" is popular with retirees for many quality of life issues: accessibility to good health care, a strong cultural life--especially theater, a local community college for continuing education opportunities, temperate weather. The area is especially popular with boaters and we have four different yacht clubs. Though we have no communities specifically for retirees we have subdivisions, gated communities and neighborhoods that are quite appealing to folks 50+. I'd be more than happy to answer any specific questions you might have....and to show you around! Lee Ann Fordyce, RE/MAX By The Water.
Hello Paula,

Great Question! As Anna mentioned a lot would really depend on what interests and activities you have or would like to have for amenities upon retirement! We do not have any 50 or older subdivisions which is not what you meant I don't think but still is a common question we get a lot because there are over 50 subdivisions in different towns! I would love to get some information from you in regards to what areas you have already researched or shown interest in. You can reach me anytime on my cell at 252-571-9089 or email at whichever is easier and more convenient for you. I have access to the entire Craven County MLS so I would easily be able to give you a list of different subdivisions and exactly what each one offers for their residents! I would love to help in anyway I can and look forward to hearing back from you!
Do some homework of your own based on your lifestyle's wants and needs--what may be a good community for one is not necessarily for another--Visit areas more than once and at different times of day to get a sense of belonging-- check out all that important to you, look at shops, parks, dine at a local eateries, etc. then take it from there, after all opinions are just that.