General Area in Philadelphia>Question Details

Katymichelson, Renter in Richmond, VA

What are great Philadelphia areas with a small town/neighborhood feel as well as a downtown/main street area with walkable shops & restaurants?

Asked by Katymichelson, Richmond, VA Tue Apr 5, 2011

My husband and I are relocating from Richmond, VA to the Philly area. We know a small amount about the area and know what we hope for in a home and community/neighborhood. We used to live downtown Chicago so we are not adverse to charming city neighborhoods. We really need a realtor to guide us but we are looking for a rental home rather than buying as we will not be in Philadelphia long enough to buy (2-3 years). Help... Katy Michelson

Answers

11
There are many great communities in Philly. Depending on your needs and the types of places you would like to be near there is a great community for every different person. I am very partial to my own neighborhood because it is a great historic area of the city and there are many things to do here. If you would like some advice or get into detail about different areas give me a call. I know a vast amount of information about every area in Philly. My number is 215-834-2658
Welcome to Philadelphia, There are many wonderful areas in Philadelphia and suburbs with walkable shops and restaurants. You should drive by neighborhoods and see where you would like to live. Do you want to be close to your place of employment? It will also depend on your budget.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Hi, Katy: Welcome and I commend you on choosing Philly as your next new home!! It is an exciting city with many different walkable neighborhoods each with it own character and personality. I am a Phila Realtor with a passion for finding renters and buyers just the right home in a price point that fits their budget.

I have spent many summers vacationing from VA to NC and have family in Chicago....both great places to live.

I would be happy to assist you getting to know Philly and all the great areas it has to offer. Please feel free to contact me via cell or email and we can discuss what your "wish list" and price point are and when you are looking to relocate here. From there I can start sending you listings for you to review.

Wishing you all the best in your home search,
Michele

Michele Golembeski, Realtor Associate
Multi Million Dollar Producer
Plumer & Associates, Inc.
mgolembeski@plumerre.com
215-850-9227 the cell that never sleeps.........
Northern Liberties, Chestnut Hill, Society Hill, Washington Sq West. ...if you like suburban, Haddonfield NJ, Ardmore, Wynnewood, Wayne....too many to count. I will be the budget, the other amenities you seek will make a big difference.
in philadelphia proper, manayunk/roxborough is another choice with a "main st" feel too
Hi Katy,

Chestnut Hill and neighboring Mt Airy are perfect for what you are looking for. Here is a good link about Chestnut Hill below. Also if you go to http://www.chestnuthilllocal.com and search the classifieds they have rental listings there. Good luck!

Rich
Hi, Katy.

Welcome to Philadelphia!

The questions you've asked are fair ones, but they have many different answers (as you can already see). Our first step would be to chat for a bit about what you're looking for in a neighborhood. More will be found out that way.

Feel free to call me if you need help.

Tim

Timothy M. Garrity | Brown McKinney Real Estate, Co.
Real Estate Professional & Consultant
http://www.phillyurbanliving.com

tgarrity@brownmckinney.com Email| http://www.brownmckinney.com/tim Website
215-825-2250 x 1007 Office | 267-879-2716 Mobile | 267-318-7004 Fax
I would love to assist you in your search. I would need to know a few more details though. Your budget, the type of "downtown" area you are looking for, and the type of apartment or home that you would want to rent. We have different "main" streets in different parts of the city and it all depends on what type of neighborhood you want to be in. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Feel free to look me up on Trulia or give me a call.

Shakela Y. Strawberry
"Making Your Dreams a SWEET Reality"
Keller Williams Realty Center City
Philadelphia, PA
Hello Katy
It depends on your budget and if relocating for a job - where you need to commute to for that job. It also depends a little on your age and lifestyle preferences.
However, some areas to consider might be Manayunk, East Falls, Northern Liberties, Pennsport, Passyunk Square, Queen Village, Art Museum area, Graduate Hospital area, and others.
Feel free to contact me if I can be of help.
Kathy Gilmore
Philadelphia, PA
Agent, Keller Williams
Philadelphia is very large so choose a location that will serve your overall lifestyle. That being said, let me offer three locations in the metropolitan area that are very much appreciated by many: Northern Liberties, Passyunk Square (SPhilly), Main Street Mannyunk, Narbarth. Feel free to contact me directly for specific details.
Hi Katy:

There are several areas in Phila that you might like. Please call me at 267-243-3635 to discuss what price range you would need. Rental prices vary greatly in the city.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rose DelGrande
RE/MAX Action
Hi Katy,

Well to begin any search we need to determine what you are budgeting for rent per month. There are plenty of neighborhoods with walking distance to shops and restaurants but there are different budgest for each of these.

I've lived in Philadelphia for the past 11 years and I'm a foody so I can fill you in on all of my favorite restaurants. There are 10 areas of Center City Philadelphia and I've lived in 7 of them. I know the city well.

Call me 215.850.9930 or email me rquinn@phillycityspace.com