General Area in Charlotte>Question Details

2013carquote, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

We will be moving from Pacific NorthWest to Charlotte by August 2013. My wife and I are both software engineers.

Asked by 2013carquote, Charlotte, NC Tue Apr 30, 2013

I'll be working in the University area (David taylor Drive) for the time being(may be 6 months to an year). My wife will be looking for work after we arrive there. We will be renting an apartment for the first year to get a feel of the city and to learn more about all the areas. We would like to live in a central location close to IT companies so that we are not spending too much time on commute(20-30 min commute one way is ideal for us). Also we have a 3 year old, so proximity to pre-schools, parks and kids activities is important to us.

Could you kindly suggest us the best, safe family friendly areas that we should look into.

Our priorities are - Safe family friendly community, Proximity(low commute times) to IT(software development) companies, Excellent schools

Answers

4
dave’s answer
Considering your move here and work in the IT department you may want to look in the South charlotte, huntersville area. A lot will depend on where you go to wrk with your IT skill set. there are options avaialble in the Northern end of Charlotte and up a little ways from there in places like Huntersville, Cornelius, lake Norman area which are areas i do nto have any expertise in.

then you have areas in the center of Charlotte....These I consider to be in the southpark area of Charlotte and around there.

last woudl be the southern hemphishere of Charlotte where you could be in the Fort Mill area of South Carolina s well or anywhere along the southern part of Charloote and mecklenburg county.

Ironically i am working with an IT person that works at the University right now to locate a home that is currently rentign and did what you are doing now... WEach section of Charlotte and the areas around it have their own identity. Isd one better than the other? not really...You could even go out to Harrisburg, concord and kannapolis area and work for Google...it really will come down to what you and your wife are comfortable with in terms fo neighborhoods and looks of homes and lifestyles...and you really cannot get a true feel for it without visiting Charlotte.

But if you would like to give em a call i would be happy to discuss further with you the different areas and give you soem insight from my move ehre eight years ago and the help I have provided numerous other famileis movin to the Charlotte area.

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
Coldwell Banker United
Cell:704-519-7895
ddicecco@cbunited.com
http://www.davedicecco.com
Hi there,
you would love Charlotte. I made the same move with my family 6 years ago from Seattle. I'd love to help you finding the best possible place for you and your family. Give me a call and we'll discuss what your options are.

Have a great day,

Penka Antista
(704) 756-4958
Welcome to Charlotte metro,

You can find everything that you need or want in the University area. There is no need to commute. The Countryside Montessori School is an affordable private school option that consistently educates children to perform several grades ahead of the public schools. The Clark Creek and Mallard Creek Greenways are the best in the county- 9 miles of running trails that will take you from the University Research Business Park to UNCC and to many neighborhoods. Many IT professionals live in the University area where you will find diversity and casual living.

I can give you teacher and parent references to call. There are many day good pre-schools: Bright Horizons, Palaroos, and various church day care centers. You will find the housing is very affordable, bike lanes in the roads, and plenty of shopping.

Wishing you success,
Robin
Thanks Robin..I'll look into the schools that you mentioned.

Based on some reviews that I read online, I heard that the University area is not a safe place for families due to high amount of crime. Is that true?

Could you recommend a safe apartment complex around that area or a safe neighborhood ..we would like to stay within 1000$/month for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment.

Since my wife is also an IT professional and she since she would be looking for work, is the University area close to other major tech companies?

Thanks agin.
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013

Congratulations on your move to Charlotte. The university area has a lot to choose from, but if you are ok with a 20-30min commute you may want to look in a few other areas as well such as Huntersville or South Charlotte. If you would like to discuss your options further feel free to give me a call anytime, 704-619-3971.

Take care,

Michael Laine
704-619-3971