General Area in Wellfleet>Question Details

John Coz, Home Buyer in Worcester, MA

We've fallen in love with the house for sale at 575 Nauset Light Beach Road, but are terrified that it will fall into the sea soon. Is this?

Asked by John Coz, Worcester, MA Sat Sep 19, 2009

possible?

Answers

7
It's been a few yeras since you asked this question. The house at 575 Nauset Lt Beach Rd is still there, and still secure. The house next door is currently for sale, at 615 Nauset Light Beach Rd. It's about 50 feet further inland and is quite secure.

Please give me a call so we can discuss this home - a wonderfully updates home with the open Atlantic as its front yard.

Call me at 508-237-9545.

Bob Sheldon
bobsheldon@remax.net
I am a leading local Eastham Realtor
My favorite quote about this locale was from the C.C. Times:
"Some years the (Oceanside) erosion is measured in Inches and others seasons it is measured in Yards".

A few years ago- I had a client look @ N.B.L. rd. I asked them to perceive the Property as: " a time share"
in that there will be a defined life before it become un-bankabkle and un-insurable.
Much of this road had to be moved as I had seen it dramatically crash into the Ocean during the famed No-name & "Bob" storms.

Many similar homes onthis rd. have had to change water & septic lines to the side of the home away from the erosion (if there is room)- otherwise they are condemned as @ Chathams Outer Beach split.

good luck, Thom
thoms@remax.net
** P.S. There have been recent Water-front or view homes with out this problem for as little as $500k.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 4, 2009
Anything is possible have you requested city review all determine if land is secure. Risk of view these wonderful properties. I am assuming your insurance has a higher premium for this type of risk

GREAT QUESTION

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
You could always bring in an engineer before you place an offer. This way you could have a professional survey the property for you and disclose what the risks are involved.
Web Reference: http://www.bostontre.com/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 20, 2009
Attached is a link that may help answer your questions. Much research has been done on this matter.
It is a beautiful property ! There have been studies on the rate of erosion for that area - I had to review a property down the road for some clients a few months ago. There was a lot of information when they moved the Naust Lighthouse a few years back; also with the Town of Eastham. What a view!
We vacation to this location annually and can appreciate why you have fallen in love with this Nauset Beach area. It is one special location......

The fact remains that homes that are located dangerously close to the ocean are at a high degree of risk. Our recommendation is to consider writing into the inspection portion of the contract the need for an acceptable report from an engineering firm that can evaluate the stability of the land area.

Best wishes with your search,

The Eckler Team