General Area in Memphis>Question Details

Wendy, Home Buyer in Memphis, TN

We recently closed on our home in Feb. 2009. Do we have to wait until after March 31st to file to get the$8K?

Asked by Wendy, Memphis, TN Mon Mar 30, 2009

(Someone told us to be able to get the $8,000, we have to wait until after March 31st, to file.

Answers

5
Gerald Williams’ answer
Wendy,

I think the 8K you are talking about is the $8,000 TAX CREDIT for 1st time home buyers. If that is the case then you will receive the $8K tax credit when you file your 2009 income tax in 2010. I recommend you consult a tax professional but I think that is the procedure.

Gerald Williams
You can file an ammendment to your taxes and even if you closed this year, you can still get the Tax Credit now so long as you are a first time home buyer. Call your Mortgage person and have them advise you about filing the ammendment.

Enjoy your new home!
It will come in the form of a tax credit/refund when you file next year's taxes for 2009. You can download the form on the IRS website, but it will not be applicable since you closed in 2009 until you file 2009's taxes in 2010.
You can file on last years taxes to get the $8000k tax credit this year.
You can claim the credit in either 2010 or this year. You have to do an amendment. Go to the IRS' website. It has all the info you will need.