General Area in New York>Question Details

Justin Parki…, Home Owner in Brooklyn, NY

We're looking for an artsy, walkable NYC suburb with good schools and decent commute. Any thoughts?

Asked by Justin Parkinson, Brooklyn, NY Wed Apr 4, 2012

Answers

19
First Last’s answer
There was an article about desirable, affordable suburbs within the 2 months that was picked up by Yahoo, alas I cannot find the link right now!

But I remember this about it: ALL the suburbs suggested in that article were in New Jersey, and some of the towns are on Debbie's list. Arts specifically I don't recall, but I remember the photos of quaint, walkable downtowns. If I were you I'd contact Debbie.

The most art-intense place on Long Island that I know of, outside of the Hamptons, is Huntington or Huntington Station, there are major art institutions there. This is a trek to Manhattan. And I'm pretty sure Westchester has us beat when it comes to art galleries, film houses, and music performances--Nyack (artists) and Tarrytown (Music Hall) of course leap to mind.

Karla Harby
Lic RE Salesperson (New York only)
Rutenberg Realty
212-688-1000x146
kharby@crrnyc.com
thank you for the nice comments and suggestion!!
Flag Thu Apr 5, 2012
Hi Justin. Some of the most artsy communities here in Westchester County are Cold Spring, Tarrytown, Irvington, Larchmont, and Pleasantville. They are all walkable towns with quaint villages. As for schools agents are prohibited by license laws to say what's good or bad. I can be the source of the source, you can visit http://www.SchoolDigger.com or GreatSchools.org for in-depth school reports. My office is in Tarrytown if you ever want to pop in for a chat.
Hi Justin
...........think I answered this question yesterday,.....but here goes again

some great NJ suburbs that fit your requirements are:

Millburn/Short Hills, Montclair, Madison, Chatham, Maplewood and Morristown........all offer the midtown Direct train to Penn Station - commute is anywhere from 35-50 min,,,,,,,,,,,bus to Port Authority can run 45-60 min

Knowing your price range would also help narrow it down.........lots of New Yorkers/commuters move out this way...........

Let me know if I can be of further help - my website has a number of helpful links with town information.ll

Best wishes.....

http://www.DebbieRosesells.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 4, 2012
There are lots of great neighborhoods in NYC. I have found that walking around is usually the easiest way to find the one that is right for you. Good luck!
Hi Justin:
Larchmont is a community you should definitely investigate. It is a very walkable community, in some ways similar to the upper west side of Manhattan because of this. Recreational facilities and services are excellent and the beauty of the community is enhanced by its location on the Long Island Sound and the very beautiful Larchmont Manor Park. It is also only a 30 minute train ride to Grand Central. You can check information on the schools by going to mamkschools.org. or one of the websites like Greatschools.org. My three children attended the public schools here and as a former educator myself, I found that it met their needs quite well. Of course, I always recommend that potential buyers make appointments with the principals of the schools so they can make their own determination by getting a tour and asking whatever questions are relevant to them. If you should decide to tour Larchmont, I would be happy to help you as I have lived here for almost 40 years. I can be reached at diana.hellman@cbmoves.com
Hartsdale, NY is just in between White Plains and Scarsdale. It has a cute downtown, walkable and quaint 1920's neighborhood, and great mix of people. You can still walk to dinner or grab a cup of coffee. Go to Enricos in town for great bakery and coffee. There is a bagel place across from the train station with warm bagels every morning. It's also only 35 min to Grand Central.
A lot depends on your budget. I would suggest Larchmont, Rye, Bronxville, Katonah, Pleasantville and Cold Spring. These are all walkable communities with great train service to Manhattan with the first three I mentioned being closest to the city.

Don Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
Douglas Elliman Real Estate - NY's #1 Real Estate Broker
http://www.donmituzas.com
Hi, I am a single 48 yr female moving to NY from Europe with my big dog and cat. I will be working at 38th and 7th in Manhattan. My rental budget would probably max at $3000, depending on other costs. The priority would be green space for my dog, an apt with space inside, some storage space, preferably parking nearby, and a reasonable commute. Ideally, a quaint village feel so not an area with all big apartment buildings. I don't have kids. If I could afford it, I would probably choose an area near Prospect Park in Brooklyn or a walk up in the UWS, but I assume I won't find anything affordable with space. Are there any areas North of the city on a commute train that fit all this?
Hi Justin,

A good suburb not very artsy, but wakable, with good commute to NYC and more is White Plains in the Westchester County. Tarrytown and Plaisantville are close from White Plains. I lived there for 5 years and I miss it!

Good lick with your search and feel free to contact me to further assist you!

Laura Thierer
Licensed Real Estate Salesperon
Ardor New York
c: 914-426-0075
o: 212-588-3000
lthierer@ardorny.com
Hi Justin

Glad you found the suggestions helpful!

Good luck in your search, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

All the best!
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! We've checked out Pleasantville in Westchester County and Montclair in Essex County and have been very impressed. (Thanks, Christopher and Debbie.) Tarrytown and Madison also sound interesting...
Hi, Kai! Are you in Portland now?
Flag Mon Oct 28, 2013
Hi this is kai Breuer your old friend from from Germany please give me a call on 0049-1782043413
Hugs
K
Flag Thu Feb 21, 2013
Hi Justin. On which part of Manhattan do you work?
Have you tried Long Island City, Brooklyn Heights Carol Gardens, Cobble Hill.... It really depends on your budget. There are also some beautiful areas in Long Beach. If you need more space you may have to try Long Island or New Jersey.
There are many nice places in Brooklyn and Queens. My name is Dennis and I can be reached at 212-714-1027 for assistance. Good luck!
Justin,

My suggestion will be to browse the NYC department of education website (http://schools.nyc.gov/Accountability/tools/review/default.htm) since "good school" is a personal preference. Based on the factors that are important to you, choose 2-3 school districts and then we can discuss the options you have available as far as buying or renting a place.

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Konstantin
248-318-8677
Hello Justin,
There is great schools at Morningside Heights and Brooklyn. Please, call me and I will assist you.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Manhattan-Spaces
Vera Aricha
917-378-9673
Good Morning Justin,
Your budget will really be a large factor in deciding where you will be able to buy. I will need to know that, and the type of unit you are looking for. Are you more interested in a coop or a condo? I look forward to hearing from you .

James

Cliford (A.K.A James)Lehrieder
Director of Sales
Senior Sales & Rental Agent
Certified Property Manager

Living Source Residential
1 west Street Suite 100
New York, NY10038
Lic. Real Estate Agents

Cell:(914)450.5116
Fax: (212)-952-1135

http://www.lsr-nyc.com
Simon Simantov, Broker, New York County, NY
Did you look at Long Island City?
Feel free to call me it will a pleasure working with you.
Simon 917.225.1445
Nestseekers Int'L